Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:10 pm 

I think the more I learn the less I know...... :-s

THE ATOMIC BANEGA(BANANA/VEGA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BagEEa8JDo

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:14 pm 

us7race wrote:
here is a site I just came across...What do you guys think?..

http://www.raceglides.com.au/TechInfo.htm

There is a drawing from that site that is exactly what I was trying to describe. The drawings about half way down showing the anti-squat line.

Rick

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:33 pm 

us7race wrote:
here is a site I just came across...What do you guys think?..

http://www.raceglides.com.au/TechInfo.htm
I think that's good info. That refrigrtator must be a comon analogy. A stock car racer told me that one in the late 70s. The only thing it don't tell is how to find center of gravity hight.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:42 pm 

Here's a trick to see if you have compression. WD 40 your shock shaft and tie a rubber band on it and push it to shock body. Do a launch and let it roll out not hitting bumps and the amount rubber band moved is your compression. A lot of racing shocks have a rubber gromet on there for this.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah Rick, my computer program has that line but like Bubstr says, unless you know the CG it's only speculation. At any rate, I can't even get close to 75% Some chassis work is in my near future along with some more carb work :-({|= Bad day! :-#

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:25 pm 

that is a cool way to find out how much you have..but what will that tell you?..that you need softer springs or more inital hit?..Just getting a little confused #-o
Thanks

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:04 am 

Ken, I take it the smaller carb did not work out? :-&

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:45 am 

Here is another helper I found...

http://www.parkercarburetion.com/Calcul ... ty_3.0.hta

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:45 am 

I think, If we can make this as simple as posible, by looking at what each person has and what they want to achieve, and what tools you have to achieve it. As far as center of gravity, guess and use that for baseline. the things we want to get rid of is, 1 big wheelies, 2 rear compression or separation, 3 car turning on launch, 4 loss of traction. The tools you have are 1 instant center setting, 2 preload, 3 static weight distribution, 4 spring rate, 5 shock rate.
I believe the first step is to map out the possible settings,by mesuring the mounting points and drawing a pic for each in your notes. don't forget to figure how far your I/C changes by changing ride hight and remember this dhanges center of gravity a little too, put a pluss or minus by that point setting. You will probably stay with one setting untill you need to put back up engine in or add NOS,Went on a couple hundred lbs diet ect. There is also that day that it's so hot you wondered why you got out of the A/C and went to the strip anyway, the air is bad the mph went to pot and 60 foots are way off it's doing wheelies too. This won't keep the beer in the cooler cold but can get rid of wheelies and get some consistancy in the 60s.
The preload( shorting the top right hand bar) is going to determine the difference in antisquat from left to right. How it works is when you shorten this bar, it raises the front mounting point, adding antisquat to that side. This is the tool that keeps right rear from compressing and evens out down presure on wheels. If right don't compress, then left can't separate.
Static weight. That is moving anything heavy to right rear, before setting ride hight. This adds down presure on right rear to aid the traction. (I'm not a big fan of this because it stores that weight in the spring and gives it up when you stand on the brake, usually pitching the left front down while stopping.) weight gets transfered cross corner.
Spring rates You could write a book on spring rates, but lets say you want heavy enough to transfer the weight quicky in the rear. A 350 to 450 depending on mounts is about right for most cars in the rear. If they don't coil bind, it's more about how fast or slow they do their job. The shocks slow or speed up the spring and dampen the bumps and weight transfer.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:48 am 

Oh by the way, the guys with leaf springs and ladders and even GM4 link pay attention. the tools for ajusting are different but basics apply.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:59 am 

us7race wrote:
Thats good but you can find center of gravity front to back with a couple jackstands and a piece of angle iron. just balance car on the angle. This doesn't give the COG hight, which is more importaint to us.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:11 am 
Site Admin

Yeah my puter program says that CG will usually be somewhrere between 14 and 22 inches. For my setup I chose 20". If I stay with that and do my adjusting from that point I guess it doesn't really matter where it is, kinda, as it is an "unknown" at this point.

I just unloaded the car and I'm going to make a 4link adjustment for a test session at the local airport/dragstrip this Thursday evening. It's only 20 miles away so I just can't pass up that opportunity. Like or not I can get data there and if I get it sorted out there it will run anywhere! =;

The car has been pretty good off the foot brake @ 1.28, 1.29 but off the T brake it sux. It wants to unload the tire after the initial hit but it doesn't seem to be picking up the back of the car, it seems to squat and then it unloads it. 1.26 short times ain't that bad for this combo but I do feel there is something being left on the table there.

I added two more bottom holes to the program last night and I can get on down when I do this. There are a couple of points in Dave Morgan's "sweet spot" that are in the 75% range +/- a few points with those additional mounting holes. The hunt is on for some material to do this however it won't be done by Thursday night. I need to concentrate on the carb problem still? Jeez, you'd have thought that I would have figured this out a long time ago as long as I've been doing it. O:) I guess that's what I get for trying new s**t! Brings on new problems I guess.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post subject: THIS IS FUNNY!
 Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:14 am 
Site Admin

Adjusted the 4link to get the IC back and down some and it was real funny as after I set the pinion angle, I had Faye under the back end of the car getting the top right bar neutral with me sitting in the seat. O:)

Now I don't care who ya are, at's funny right thare! =;

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes