Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:39 pm 
Site Admin

Since I quit dickin with the car and started racing it, we've been going some rounds.  Of course the more rounds you go the less time you have to cool things and I think my tranny is building too much heat.  Tonight we went a 5.498, 5.494, 5.490, 5.492, 5.470 (temp went from 81* to 63*), then a 5.503 on a 5.46 dial.  Where the HELL did THAT come from?? O:)  O:)  O:)    [-(  [-(  [-(   Killed the tree with a .0005 light only to not run the number.

We lost the time in the 60-330 segment.  330-660 was right on with the other runs and mph was 125+ so I'm thinking it has to be tranny heat as we only had about 15 minutes before cranking back up for the last round.  Even though the 60 was consistant I think the time might have been lost on the shift.  Looks like a larger tranny cooler with it own fan and trans temp gauge is in my very near future.

I did win the bogey round today though with a 5.494 on a 5.49 dial and a .006 light.  Not bad for an old fart. =;  =;

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:53 am 

Good Job George.  \:D/  \:D/ Ain't it more fun to race it than tune it?  =; I hate it when you get where did that come from [-(  In our case it is usually a faster time #-o

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:10 pm 

No trans gauge George!!!  Shame on you =; ... Yes it will get warm and it will slow down a bit...Mine did as it went a hundredth slower in the final that was 15 minutes after the last round O:) ..

I kind of new it was going to slow down as my temp guage was at 180 when I was in the lanes for the final... #-o

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

WR169 wrote:
Good Job George.  \:D/  \:D/ Ain't it more fun to race it than tune it?  =; I hate it when you get where did that come from [-(  In our case it is usually a faster time #-o

Yeah it's more fun until something causes it to fall off like that then I want to kick the fuel jug again.  But I learned my lesson the first time I did that. =;

Beretta wrote:
No trans gauge George!!!  Shame on you  =;

Yep, I've been a bad boy.  It's one of those things that I said I was always going to install but it kept getting pushed down the priority list.  What kind of tranny cooler are you using?  180 doesn't sound bad.  I thought you wanted to keep it below 200.

I'm going to move this to the drivetrain section.

What's the best setup for the tranny temp gauge?  I guess mount it in the pan?  Do you guys use the hole for the drain plug or do you drill and tap another hole.  Anybody use a cooler with a fan on it?  Which one works the best?

Thanks,

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:31 am 

gdmii wrote:
What's the best setup for the tranny temp gauge?  I guess mount it in the pan?  Do you guys use the hole for the drain plug or do you drill and tap another hole.  Anybody use a cooler with a fan on it?  Which one works the best?

Thanks,

George

Best place for the guage is the pan. That's what I was told anyway O:) . Fluid in the pan is what is going it so that tenp is what your concerned with...I was told if I was to see the temp of the fluid coming out of the converter it would be frighting  O:) I have a BTE aluminum pan and it has a thick boss on the right side so I drilled and taped it..

I have a B&M cooler mounted in the center of the chassis. This is where I think it's the safest as if it started to leak it wouldn't dump on one tire  O:)  O:) ..I have not seen a need for a fan yet so far but really have not been in the late rounds in the heat.

Both of my cars have slowed down when it starts usually after 3rd round and usually dial up maybe a hundredth.....Maybe :-k

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:40 am 

I use and like alot the  B&M HI-TEK cooler with the fan, Uses a thermal switch to activate the fan @175.  Install the temp sending unit in the pan.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

I was just thinking about all the things I have in this setup generating heat.  I have the Vasco ringless input shaft which is probably not flowing as much to the cooler circuit as I would like, spragless converter, and I think the converter is slipping to much.  I show like about 12%.  If I can't get things cooled down I might have to go back to a ringed shaft.

George

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes