Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:03 am
Posts: 1444
How is it that a 7.5" GM 10 bolt can hold up to 1600 HP and 1400 ft. lbs of torque. And those numbers are on gas. I saw the car run last year on a 25 % / 75 % nitro / alky mix. This is in a LSR ( land speed racing ) Car.
This car is 4wd and both front and rear diffs. came out of 1980 Sunbirds. The front is fitted with Jeep spindles.

I know they dont have to take the abuse of the launch like a drag car does but they do have to take the force put on them by trying to move 3500 lbs ( ??? ) up close to 300 mph. The car has gone 281 so far. I have video of it spinning at 220 MPH at just the 2.25 mile mark of a 5 mile course and it has been as fast as 250+ at this same point.

Here is a link to the car in question. Spec sheet is on the nect page click on " the details". The guy the article names as the owner fabricated the car and was nothing short of a genius but he has since passed away. This car is really a work of art.

I'm trying to get more info out of one of the owners who also drives it but not certain what all he knows about it.

http://hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/80878/


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: High speed brick
 Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:06 pm 
 
Duane,most interesting article. The only way those baby rearends survive is the lack of traction. Some of the old salts declare"its like driving on snow." I think it has more traction than that but still very interesting...
Gale Banks' crew twisted off the pinion on a Dana 60 at about 225. That seemed to be a heat issue I believe rather than a hp versus traction deal.
Later Steve


Top 
  
 
 Post subject: Re: High speed brick
 Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:03 am
Posts: 1444
plycoupe wrote:
Duane,most interesting article. The only way those baby rearends survive is the lack of traction. Some of the old salts declare"its like driving on snow." I think it has more traction than that but still very interesting...
Gale Banks' crew twisted off the pinion on a Dana 60 at about 225. That seemed to be a heat issue I believe rather than a hp versus traction deal.
Later Steve



Steve .. thanks for your thoughts. I have been emailing Tim ( co-owner and driver of the 774 car) and am going to call him tomorrow night. He said basically the same as you, which I had already considered but ( probably wrongly ) threw out the idea cause it still has to put up with a lot of pressure to push that brick as fast as it has.

And ya I have heard the same about driving on the salt. I know of a 2,000 cc Pinto powered roadster that will spin the tires at 140 MPH if to much throttle is applied. And when the 774 car spun at the 2 mile mark last year while doing 220 mph it was because he gave it just a little bit to much throttle and the rear came around and passed the front just as smoothley as can be made 3 complete spins in about a mile before coming to a stop... ohhh the thrill and to think he was kind and thoughtful enough to do it right in front of me



incidently ... this car was on the cover of Autometers 1994 catalog.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: traction??
 Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:43 pm 
 
The guys with those suzuki hayabusa's just blow me away spinning the rear tire at 210. Thats just wrong,makes my palms sweat....
Unless the rules have changed there were only about 4 of the 4wd roadsters left that were grandfathered in.If they changed hands they had to be converted to 2wd. Very cool class,innovative,but yet "old skool"
Later Steve


Top 
  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:54 pm
Posts: 1619
Location: Western Illinois
On the drag strip spinning them hard narrow M/H slicks was why the top fuel guys could run the olds rear ends. When tires got better they needed stronger.

_________________
Older I get the less I know for sure Dennis


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: traction??
 Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:03 am
Posts: 1444
plycoupe wrote:
Unless the rules have changed there were only about 4 of the 4wd roadsters left that were grandfathered in.If they changed hands they had to be converted to 2wd. Very cool class,innovative,but yet "old skool"
Later Steve


The rules are the same and I think your correct in that there is only 4 cars left. I know of two and they keep going back and forth on owning the record. I know the 774 car is aiming for 300 MPH. If the Salt is good this year ... which all reports point to so far I bet either the 505 car or the 774 will reach that milestone and earn a new hat.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:25 pm
Posts: 422
Location: Beaverton Ontario Canada
I think I am gonna' have to go to Bonneville at least once in my lifetime.........fascinating article
take care
Tom


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:03 am
Posts: 1444
henny496 wrote:
I think I am gonna' have to go to Bonneville at least once in my lifetime.........fascinating article
take care
Tom


You havent lived until you've been out to the Salt .......................... the ultimate automotive enthusist experience


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:51 pm 
 
DCarr wrote:
henny496 wrote:
I think I am gonna' have to go to Bonneville at least once in my lifetime.........fascinating article
take care
Tom


You havent lived until you've been out to the Salt .......................... the ultimate automotive enthusist experience


AMEN bro, 30 minutes on the salt my first time and i just felt like i was home. Bonneville is truly home to gearheads. I say this with all sincerity
Steve


Top 
  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:58 pm 
 
And for all you east coasters don't forget the Maxton Mile in North Carolina
www.ecta-lsr.com/index.htm
George
ps somewhere I have a video link of a guy who drove a twin turbo camaro to the track and ran 190mph and then drove it home about 900 miles, thats grassroots racing \:D/ =D>


Top 
  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:08 pm 
 
Found it. www.ls1speed.com/movies/intmd8_199.wmv
George


Top 
  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:03 am
Posts: 1444
smalltruckbigcid wrote:
And for all you east coasters don't forget the Maxton Mile in North Carolina
www.ecta-lsr.com/index.htm
George
ps somewhere I have a video link of a guy who drove a twin turbo camaro to the track and ran 190mph and then drove it home about 900 miles, thats grassroots racing \:D/ =D>


I was looking at going to Maxton for the first time this weekend .. but have a prior commitment so it looks like I will try for next month and then hit the Salt again in August


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:03 am
Posts: 1444
To bring this back to where it started ... I started wondering if those diffs would hold up at Maxton or any other place / situation that would provide the slightest amount of traction.

Could they even survive a quick blip in a parking lot ?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:09 am 
 
Hi Duane,I seriously doubt that they would hold for Maxon. You've only got a mile or so to reach escape velocity and a gob of power would have to pretzel those baby gears. Of course thats only my opinion and I can break an anvil in a sand box with a marshmallow :-& Steve


Top 
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: