Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: 3 speed Lenco
 Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:59 pm 

Hello
I have the opportunity of getting a 3 speed Lenco for a really good deal. It is all rebuilt and I need something that will live behind my blower motor
My blower motor is not going in my car right away( have to finish building it first) as I am still gathering parts.....maybe a year after the car is out with the old drag 427
.....anyway, it will only be a 1.88 first gear. Glides are a 1.82 but they have a converter. This is also to be street driven.....not 20,000 miles a year, but street driven none the same
Anyone know of guys running a 3 speed on the street?
any info is welcome
Tom
I was not looking for a Lenco(yet) but this deal came up

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

Isn't it just a matter of installing another planetary on that thing to make it a 4 speed? If that's the case, then you could add another unit and gain the additional gearing for first gear. 1.80 might be a little tall for a stick setup.

Most 4 speeds are a 2.20 or 2.54 with the Chrysler 4 gears having a 2.66 first behind the Hemi. What is the Nash tranny you have now?

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:00 pm 

Hello Ken
I was wondering the same thing. It is still a good deal as is, and I can look for another unit to add on later
I remember Muncies being called clutch eaters with a 2.20:1 first
I would have lots of torque with the blower, but I was not sure
I have a Borg Warner super T-10 as well which is new and I am picking it up from getting freshened up tomorrow morning. (sat 25 yrs) It is a 2.88 first and the Nash is 3.2? ( 3 or 8) :1 first
I don't think the Nash will live behind the blower motor and I sure as Hell don't need that low a gear with this blower
Once I run the car for a season, I am going to put the motor and trannies up for sale to help fund the blower motor project
I cannot really afford to have both set ups, and I will need a bunch more cash to finish the blower motor combo\
The Lenco is just a really good deal , but I don't need it just yet
I just have to be able to hide it from the wife for a year......and not talk about it.........that is the hard part
Tom

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:36 am 

I can promise you the nash won't live long behind your blower motor. I ran a nash in my 2400 lb. pinto until i got down to mid 6's (1/8 mile), then i ran a MLM converted (clutchless) nash with the same ratio (3.25 1st) until I got the car running 6.2's to 6.0's then it started killing hard parts. That's when I went to the liberty. I don't know how much power you will be making but it is my understanding the lenco's eat up quite a bit of HP so you will need to have some to spare. The liberty has to be the most durable gear type transmission there is and it doesn't have nearly as much drag as the lenco and with the loss of pro-stock truck they are a lot easier to find used. The standard 5spd is rated at 1,100 HP & 3,000 lbs. and they have heavier duty ones. You can check them out here.

http://www.libertysgears.com/clutchless.htm

I don't have much blower motor experience but I have been running 5 speeds for the last 20 years. Let me know if there is anything I can help you out with.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post subject: Lenco
 Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:27 pm 

Hello
Thanks very much for that information. I know very little of drag racing transmissions, other than just some very basic stuff
A 4 speed Lenco is going to be too long and too wide to fit into my car.. The vette is just way too narrow. A street Lenco is 30 in long and 9 inches in dia for a 4 speed and a 5 speed is 36 inches. I imagine the drag ones are not any smaller
I had talked to a guy who ran a Lenco in his street car(Larry Larson) and he says he likes it. I did not know they eat up a lot of power
I would have to hunt for a good used tranny no matter what it is. I cannot afford to buy a brand new one
I know a guy in Texas who runs a G-force, but it is a face tooth engagement, while this Nash is a pro shifted. Apparently every gear has to be a power shift with it
I spoke with Liberty and they apparently have a new street version coming out....sometime
I like the idea of finding a used tranny, but I have to be able to street drive it
Gearhead, do you know of any good deals on a tranny that will live behind the blower motor or what I should expect to pay for one that will?
I can wait for one, unless you know of a really good deal. Normal priced one wills always be there, and I don't need it today
My super T-10 I got today is a high nickel case w/9310 gears. It will be OK for the street behind the 427 with a street tire
I appreciate your help
Tom

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:31 pm 

I have never run a liberty on the street so I don't know how well it would work out for street driving,. I would think if it is very limited use it would be fine. The Liberty is a face tooth engagement and you shift it clutchless. If you off-throttle in the first 4 gears there is no engine braking, the transmission will "ratchet" and kick out of gear.

The liberty is a dual cluster transmission and the clusters lay off to each side of the mainshaft so, it is kind of wide. If you want the dimensions I will have the cover off of mine the next week or so and I can measure it and let you know.

I don't know of any for sale right now but I can ask around. I bought mine about 10 years ago and gave $5,000.00 for it with the "paddle" type shifter and an air shifter. Like I said with the elimination of pro-stock truck I would think there would be a bunch of them out there and they should be a little cheaper.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:05 am 

Hello Chuck
Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated. The Liberty you have may be too wide, but if you think of it, I would appreciate a measurement when you take it apart
thanks very much
Tom

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes