Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

I drained my tranny fluid last night and dropped the pan to change the filter and I saw a BUNCH of clutch material balled up in the pan.  It was the consistancy of sawdust and there was 3 clumps each about the size of half a cotton ball.  After consultation with the Master, I decided to tear the tranny down and see what was up.  This is what I found:

Part of the clutch material came off right down to the metal.  Everything else looked brand new.  Mic'ed all the high gear clutches and they were all at .060, same as new.  Even this clutch on what was left of the good part was .060.  The steels all looked new.  No signs of heat anywhere.  Looks to me like a bad clutch.  I called BTE and ordered a new set and told then about this one.  They want me to send it back and they said they would replace it.  Running into a time crunch but I had them to overnight the new ones so I got the tranny back together as far as I can go without the high gear clutches.  So as soon as they get here tomorrow I'll get them in and we should be ready to rumble on Saturday.

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

NOPE!  Never seen one like that?  O:)  ](*,)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:09 pm 

I'd say you got a bad clutch, either it wasn't glued right to start with or it got wet. I've been told those clutches will hold up to anything 'cept water. the glue is water based and will cause them to fall apart.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

Not that Ken or I either one inspected the clutches specifically for water lines before installation but there was nothing about them that caught our eye.  Probably a poor glue job.

BTW, I forgot to mention that we (my partner and I) broke our record of pulling the tranny.  When we started last night, the driveshaft and converter were installed and fully bolted in and the car was already on jack stands.  We checked the time hack and then started pulling the tranny.  13 minutes later the tranny was out from under the car.  Our previous best was 15 minutes.  We have a system that seems to work quite well for us. =;   I just wish we didn't get so much practice.

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:59 pm 

Did you soak them overnight before the installation? I always soak mine in tranny fluid before. I have not seen one do that without heat marks showing. probably a bad glue job.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

Didn't soak them overnight but did soak them in a bucket for probably an hour or so.  Everything I've seen says to soak them for 30 minutes.  I was surprised there were no heat marks.  But nairy a one.

George

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes