Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

No tubes.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:00 pm 

George your hitting that tire to hard......IMO ........What RPM are you leaving at???

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

gdmii wrote:
 Can you imagine what the regulars would look like??

George

Yup, I see it every time I look at a vid of my car leaving.  Did you ever watch a Pro Stock or Pro Mod tire?  Or the ones on Sam's Altered? =;

No tubes here either.  They are like underware, they only slow you down! O:)  =;

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
George your hitting that tire to hard......IMO ........What RPM are you leaving at???

The rpm that gives me the best 60'...4800.  Less than that the 60s fall off.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:16 pm 

Barry, Corey, have either of you run a Goodyear since production went back to akron? Sounds like your last exp. with them was the old tires, I thought I saw some of the old ones on your Beretta. Not knocking hoosier , I have run them and liked them, just wondering. My last set of american made Goodyears lasted 200 passes with the same 60s, none of you have a car as heavy as mine..LOL

George, I think you need to move your four link, I was hitting mine like that and could not put enough air in them to stop the wrap up. I went longer on the four link and kept the 60s where they were. I run 7 pounds in my stiff Goodyears. Just my 2 cents.
Greg

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:12 pm 

gdmii wrote:
Beretta wrote:

So we are after the best short time??? With the Vega and now with the Beretta  (although I only have 9 runs on it O:) ) Im leaving at 3000 rpm and my best short time with the Beretta was 1.20 ......

I used to leave at 5000 rpm with the Vega!! Wheels up in the air YaHOOOO but after talking to a few guys it was not the thing to do...

I was always looking for constancy not the best short time and to get the most out of a set of tires.... Remember we are only bracket racing, this is not promod or prostock racing... A stiffside wall tire needs a well prepped track and big power or a heavy car....At that rpm and the track not good you may be going home early.... I have a starting line controller that was on the Vega and is also on the Beretta where I can slow down the throttle opening to aid in a marginal track. Yea the time is not impressive but all that counts to me is the win light in my lane........

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:15 pm 

StrokerCamaro wrote:
Barry, Corey, have either of you run a Goodyear since production went back to akron? Sounds like your last exp. with them was the old tires, I thought I saw some of the old ones on your Beretta. Not knocking hoosier , I have run them and liked them, just wondering. My last set of american made Goodyears lasted 200 passes with the same 60s, none of you have a car as heavy as mine..LOL

George, I think you need to move your four link, I was hitting mine like that and could not put enough air in them to stop the wrap up. I went longer on the four link and kept the 60s where they were. I run 7 pounds in my stiff Goodyears. Just my 2 cents.
Greg

Greg, I have used both us made and the ones on the Beretta that were made in Chille O:) .....But I here it alot from others that they still don't last long and become inconstant way to early..... I used to get at least 125 runs on the Hooser's and the same with Phonix .... =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:42 pm 

There is a lot of Hoosiers at our tracks as well, just wondered if you had tried them.
As little as 600 rpm will make my 60 ft. vary, I leave at 4,200.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:55 pm 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
gdmii wrote:
Beretta wrote:

So we are after the best short time??? With the Vega and now with the Beretta  (although I only have 9 runs on it O:) ) Im leaving at 3000 rpm and my best short time with the Beretta was 1.20 ......

I used to leave at 5000 rpm with the Vega!! Wheels up in the air YaHOOOO but after talking to a few guys it was not the thing to do...

I was always looking for constancy not the best short time and to get the most out of a set of tires.... Remember we are only bracket racing, this is not promod or prostock racing... A stiffside wall tire needs a well prepped track and big power or a heavy car....At that rpm and the track not good you may be going home early.... I have a starting line controller that was on the Vega and is also on the Beretta where I can slow down the throttle opening to aid in a marginal track. Yea the time is not impressive but all that counts to me is the win light in my lane........

Well...yeah...I say the best short time but ultimately it has to be consistant and so far it has been even at the 1.18 level.  It might go 1.188-1.192.  I'll take that.  But recently it's been 1.245-1.259.  Now I know the heat has had a lot to do with that but this weekend we were simply spinning.  Everyone I had watching could see it.  But it was doing it pretty much the same way every time so the 60s stayed fairly consistant for a spinning launch.  My converter stalls at 6200 so to launch at 3000 is taking a pretty good hit on the converter.  I really don't know if that's good or bad.  I had always tried to stay within 1500 rpm of my stall speed.

My car is about 2570 right now with what we added with the oil pan change and the anti-roll so I'm probably a bunch heavier than you are.

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:35 pm 

I just checked my log, the slicks on my car have 220 runs on them. It's the only tires this car has had and this is the 3rd season on it. Last week with the air at 3,364' it 60'd 1.203. A stick car has a tendency to beat the sidewalls up and I never got anywhere close to this many passes out of a goodyear and the tire still hooked that good.  BTW I never bought the chili made slicks.  In fact it sort of ticked me off that they moved the plant and I wouldn't run another g/y if you gave them to me.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

That's pretty impressive Chuck.  I'm almost 300 lbs. heavier than you but I should still get more than the 50-60 runs I'm getting now.  Ron is getting me a price tomorrow so I'll have a set on the way by the end of the week.

Also, I am making a 4 link change.  Not so much for the tire but to help get the front up a little but the end result is going to be a little less hit on the tire as well.

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:39 pm 

gdmii wrote:
My car is about 2570 right now with what we added with the oil pan change and the anti-roll so I'm probably a bunch heavier than you are.

George

now yours weighs the same as me. i launch at 4800 as well. i run a 4.33 rear gear so my 60's are from 1.28 to 1.31 depends on the heat, 1.28 is when she is hauling the mail (5.60's) 1.30's is when it's 5.70 or so. i agree you should be getting more life outta them tires. are they ripped up, like it's shearing the rubber off?

i would say that if your 60 ft's have backed off that much, so,e of it has to do with the weight that was added, and the rest would be tires and heat. just my input of course.... 8-[

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:40 pm 

Domn't know if this helps This is my Hoosier 14.5x32x15 L8 compound softwall @ 10 1/2 psi no tubes 3150# car weight leaving @ 4800 on a TB

2008 P.S.C.A B1 Champ

2010 WCHRA SPM Champ

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:47 pm 

Looks like you need some stiffwalls Jerry.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:22 pm 
Site Admin

Buffjhsn wrote:
gdmii wrote:

George

now yours weighs the same as me. i launch at 4800 as well. i run a 4.33 rear gear so my 60's are from 1.28 to 1.31 depends on the heat, 1.28 is when she is hauling the mail (5.60's) 1.30's is when it's 5.70 or so. i agree you should be getting more life outta them tires. are they ripped up, like it's shearing the rubber off?

i would say that if your 60 ft's have backed off that much, so,e of it has to do with the weight that was added, and the rest would be tires and heat. just my input of course.... 8-[

They just have the feathered look on the tread which is pretty normal  No chunks out or anything.  Plenty of hole left in the wear slot.

Jerry, I will try to find a pic of the Hoosiers that were on the 68.  Might make yours look like stiffwalls. =;

George

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes