Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:48 am 

Ok trev good point 50 lbs is 50 lbs. The difference is one is stactic weight, and the other is gained by mechanical advantage. The static weight will compress a 400 lbs spring 1/4 inch. the mechanical actualy lifts that corner of chassis, extending the spring 1/4 inch. We did not adjust ride height after preload on the spring. what we have then is a spring with less stored energy. With the increased antisquat on right rear after the go button is pushed there will be more weight on tire from chassis trying to rise or separate, depending on term you may use. ( the 1/4 inch in both cases is not an accurate measure, because some weight will be added or subtracted to left rear and right front and is inversly added or subtracted from left front) Gets complicated fast Eh. You can test that by useing scales and adding weight to one corner and watch all the scales move. In most kinds of motorsports excessive static weight has been replaced with mechanical or areo advantages. you don't see the offset roadsters at indy or 70% weight biased stock car even the Big block type mods have cut down on this, because it was hard to tune, because weight was farther from roll centers and center of gravity, giving the weight more mechanical advantage.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:33 pm 

Tray, I was wondering what changes you made, to make your car work? And how much difference was it from the original set up? And are you planning on tuning farther? Just wondering.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:50 pm 

So ,, far,,...all I did was drop the top bar down a hole in the front and siffened the shocks up 1 click from where they were originally.... I really think theres another .004 .005 just in the 60 alone...dropping the front bar alone ,shoved the IC back to the door ,was in front of the front tire (no wonder it wanted to lift off... O:) Yes,I'm gonna tune here and there ,,but waiting for my 4 link wizzard program to come in..then it readin time...but for now,,just try and get some runs on it..see if it settles abit by itself....Hoping for this weekend...I'm not gonna rush the tuning stage,,,as long as it goes straight and hooks... =; I klnow you all heard this before,,,But I'm keepin ths one.... =; =; =; =;

Also,,thanks for you help,,You and duane(and a few others) really helped me understand how and why it works...Kinda like my job at work...once I figure out how it works,,,,I can fix it... =;

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes