Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Please Look and tell me
 Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:18 am 

http://media.putfile.com/vega-wagon

o.k thoughts...it is a 4 link car...move the top bars down a hole or the bottoms up a hole or both(to move ic further back ,need stiffer shocks on front?,,,,help.. :-k #-o

THE ATOMIC BANEGA(BANANA/VEGA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BagEEa8JDo

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:11 am 

Was the pre load in the upper right bar set with you in the seat, all fluids filled, race ready ? What is it set at ?

Do you have a full size plot of the IC's ?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:28 pm 

DCarr wrote:
Was the pre load in the upper right bar set with you in the seat, all fluids filled, race ready ? What is it set at ?

Do you have a full size plot of the IC's ?

Duane,,,I haven't checked anything,,,as is when I got it...remember it had a bbc and 4 spd lenco..and a 220 lb driver....Lookin at my vid,,a few have said the wheelie bars are unloading the tires,,and the go left may have been me fault as I wasnt in the groove at the track...I'm way right of where I should've been...Geez,,boy does this bring back memories,lets see the velle did almost the same thingbut drove all the way down pulling to the right..once I got back on the track with the vega,it went straight under full throttle...the ol vega did the same ,hook left eveyime I wasnt in the groove also,,just have to get use to the little go-cart all over again...I really want to take some of that lift out of the front....I know I can with that 4 link....As for the ICs,,havent plotted any of them yet.really not sure how,,kinda know how it works...move Ic back towards the rear,,less lift on the front..?thanks for the reply..

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:39 pm 

Looks like too much pre load in upper right bar, or preloaded coil over. Every wheel base,ride hight and center of gravity is a little different. You should plot your own out by finding the instant center of bars. The center of gravity should be in the neiborhood of just above crankshaft hight and close to 6 inches rear of bell housing. You can find actual center of gravity hight but you need scales and you jack one end up sky high and have to be a math wizzard. You can find the center of gravity on you wheel base with a set if jack stands and a bar strong enough to hold car up. treat it just like a teeter totter. Mark your frame rail and it will be directly above. Put something in seat that weighs as much as you do. sand bags work or scrap plate ect. Then with chalk make a life size drawing next to car mesuring all mounting points and tire contact center(rear). you can then use anything long and straight to plot your instant centers for any mounting point and it gives you a good mental pic of what changes do. Level ride hight side to side to start for mesuring. Play with ride hights effects on front bar mouting points, good way to fine tune later, if your chassis alows it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:17 pm 

Tray... the preload needs to be checked and reset if needed first thing. I think Bubstr is right on with it having to much preload. I would set that and make another pass and go from there. At least you got that pass on video ! That does help, but its still not easy with only one pass on the car.

I have a set of blocks I made from 2x10's that I set the car on when doing suspension adjustments, that way the car is sitting at ride height and the suspension is bearing all the weight.

I also plot out the 4 link on paper full size. And draw lines so every possbile IC can be seen at a glance. It's a pain to do but is sure worth the time in situations like this.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:03 pm 

wow,,overload....o.k...seems I got a startin point....thanks guys... =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:17 pm 

heytray i will give tony a call and see when we can get in his shop on the lift we set mine there and we have not had any problems ill give you a call after i talk to tony we will get ur done =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:23 pm 

That sounds like a plan....Thanks Ron...yep ,,just let me know...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:52 pm 

Tray, My Vega had a 4 link.. Lower bar was just tiped down a little in the front and the upper bar was well...can't remember.... But only one flat of pre load took care of the pull.. Remember had a BBC in it..............Barry

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:06 pm 

Here's something that may help you understand better http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/info/Launching_A_Drag_Car.htm

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:11 pm 

Tray, I'm going to throw 2cents in and say a combination of wheelie bars too low as well as not being in the grove.
I would try this before changing anything else.
Good luck!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

Tray:

Those wheelie bars are really taking a hit. Yeah you're out of the groove but I don't think you want those wheelie bars much higher than they are or you're gonna be looking at sky a lot longer than I think you want to. I think you need to play with the 4 link or tie that front end down a little. Where's your IC now?

Later Bud,

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:49 pm 

Yeah,,George,,I really would like to take out some of that hit on the bars...and lift on the front...Mark,I agree....need more runs ...My first impression was the same,,out fo the groove,,and wheelie bars lifted the rear tires.. but,,,thats why I asked,,the 4 link stuffs all new to me.AS far as the Ic ...I'll have to get a few picts... =; Thanks everyone...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:13 pm 

O.K found a few pict I took and didnt remember even taken them...very large file DUW (dial up warning)...looks to me he had IC right at the front wheel....I guess he wanted to put it on the bumper.The one pic shows where at some point he had the upper bar in the next lower hole..Duane,,preload would be if I unbolted the upper bar,,the bolt with no preload should slide right out...with preload ,,would the bar have to come forward or backwards to get the bolt in?Shorten or lengthen to put preload in...?Image
Sorry,,know they aint the best pics...all I have right now..Thinking,,check preload right upper bar,,move upper bar where it was(down a hole in the front)lower bar move up a hole..should bring IC ,,,towards the middle of the car....?Laters

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:17 pm 

Also ,,lower bar seems to be level with the frame?Wouldnt I C be very far foward,,and low causing the look at me wheelie....? #-o

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes