Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Master cylinder
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:32 am 

Installed aerospace front disc on my 69 camaro the other nite, great fit easy installation. Weighed the old brakes vs. the new and lost 19lbs. per side. The trouble I have is the pedal feels spongy and is quite a bit lower than I had with the other brakes. I am using a 69 corvette master cyl. What kind of master are u guys using and why. The manufacture wants me to use the mopar style. Anyone use one of those on their car? Looking for experiances you guys have had, That means you George...LOL My rear brakes are 11 inch wilwood rotors with stock GM calipers. =;
Greg

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:32 pm 

Greg, Most conversions are using a mopar style or a strange master cyd. They are internally preportioned so just bolt them on and go... I would say that you dont have enough fluid travel as by the time the calipers fill with fluid and start to apply pressure your out of throw.... Get it ??? Sorry im really suck at explaning things :-k Barry

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

I run a Mopar MC on my Studebaker. It is a 1.125diam piston and works well with Mustang II front disks and 11 inch drums in the rear. Barry is correct on the fluid thingie as I have a 3psig check valve in the front on my car. This keeps a tiny bit of pressure on the claipers to keep fluid from draining back to the MC. They also can be used for the rear as well and with disks on the rear are actually needed i would think. One more thing though. If you are using a GM caliper on that thing it may take a pretty good amount of fluid to make it work, someting the Mopar MC may not provide.

I guess the best thing to do is ask the PPL that built the calipers what is the best MC for that setup (both front and rear).

Oh, one more thing. Make sure that the caliper bleeder is facing UP when it's installed on the car. If not, then there's no way to get the air out without removing the caliper from the mount and turning it with that bleeder screw up to bleed these brakes. Don't laugh. I know a guy that spent about three weeks and a quart of brake fluid trying to bleed a set of Wilwood calipers mounted on a digger with the bleeder screws facing down! \:D/ How'd that work? Well, Not too good! =;

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:51 pm 

Thanks guys, they are wanting me to use that very one. If the mopar style will not work with the rear GM caliper I will change the rear brakes out to match the front....kinda wanting to anyway.
Greg =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Greg:

I put the fronts on first and used the 69 Camaro mc and it worked fine for me. That was with the Dana 60 drum brakes on the rear. It was about 2 weeks later that i decided to change the rear brakes too which meant I had to change the mc again. So this time I went with the 69 Corvette mc and it works great. I do not use a proportioning valve and I've got good balance between front and rear.

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:38 pm 

George, I am using the corvette master now. The pedal was perfect until I put on the new front brakes? I don't really know where to start. Pedal is mushy and has to much travel before catching. Could it be the single gm calipers in the rear not wanting to work with the 4 piston front? :-k
Greg

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

That's possible. My pedal is not the high, hard pedal that a lot of folks like but I don't have to push too far before getting brakes. My pedal moves maybe a little more than an inch. Real nice feel. The difference is we don't have the same rear brakes so it is going to be different. When I had the Dana drums I used the 69 Camaro that was setup for rear drum/front manual discs. That Corvette mc is fairly good size so you have the fluid just might not have the stroke. Might check the rod length too. Mine had the long rod that went deep into the back of the mc.

Also, as Ken said...make sure you have the bleeders on top. Aerospace recommends a 1 1/8" mc which the Corvette is. What mc did you have before te swap?

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:33 pm 

The bleeders are on the top. This car has always been four wheel disc since i built it. Single gm rear,single gm on the front. It has always had the corvette master on it. Maybe something has happened to the master? Maybe I should change it out before I get any further.
Greg

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

Well...supposedly you don't need a residual pressure valve if the mc is mounted higher than the brakes. Having said that, you might want to install one and see since that is cheaper than replacing the mc. Typically, discs brakes take a 2 psi valve and drums require an 10 psi valve. I would get a shorty brake line and connect the valve right at the mc. Taking the least expensive approach first, that's what I would recommend.

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:58 pm 

George, I have the factory splitter under the master. I just thought of that. It is possible that during early stages of bleeding that the valve inside has slid one way or the other. This happened once before on an old truck I pulled out of the weeds. Does yor car have one or is it all plumbed directly to the master cylinder? I may need to rip all that stuff off and start over.
Greg

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

Greg:

I don't have any of that stuff. Just mc and brake lines. That indeed may be the problem and the best place to start.

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:36 pm 

Thanks For being patient with me George, I will start to replumb it tomorrow night. Will let you know what happens.
Greg 8-[

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes