Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: msd billet reluctor
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:58 am 

hey guys
has anyone installed a billet reluctor in an msd distributor,i am not looking to vary the timing with it i bought it as a replacment for the original because it is cadium plated and should hold up to the winters in storage better than the stockers do....any help is appreciated

Jeff

Post subject: Re: msd billet reluctor
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:59 pm 

is that made by msd?

Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:56 am 

yes,but the keyways are not fihished(they are smaller) i assume so they can be finished in one direction or the other to vary the timing,and there are two keyways in it across from each other

Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:11 pm 

i think for 51.99, i will continue to use my dremel with wire wheel to clean my contacts.

plus with the rash of ignition problems i have had lately msd products ](*,) and lack of technical support ](*,) , i would be
hard pressed to buy another msd product.

as much as i want to post my acroynm for MSD, i will bite my tongue(i mean keyboard) 8-[

Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:30 pm 

that is what led me to buy it,the car would start but it would backfire through the carb 10 or 15 times and we were afraid we were going to set the car on fire!,so the car sat most of last year as we tried to find the problem and when i quizzed MSD about any ideas they may have i was told i could not use my whole ignition setup in a "street" car because it was a "race" ignition(so i understand your feelings about them) but we eventually found the corrosion on the reluctor,cleaned it and have had zero problems since.....but,the reluctor still corrodes so i thought the plated billet one would be a good addition,maybe not as i dont think i will be calling them back anytime soon,they have a great product which is good because if they relied on thier customer service they would be out of buisness!

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:03 am 

sometimes these companies take the "street" versus "race" and use it way out of context,imo.

i could understand if you were using a mag, 10, or even a 7 ignition box. as i understand these boxes can tax the ignition system more
than your conventional boxes.

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:46 pm 

On the subject of street use and race use etc, MSD will tell you thats a race ign so dont use it on the street etc. Well A customer of mine runs a 10plus on the street in a blown SBC. If he puts Holleys on the engine it destroys the dizzy cap in 2 weeks, just burns it out and semi melts the rotor button too. Now he has my Smartcarbys on the engine and it doesn't destroy the dizzy or the rotor button. Its done 10,000 miles without need for repair.
In my dealings with MSD Ive formed the opinion that they know their electronics but they don't know about how it works in an engine. If they knew what was good for an engine they wouldn't make some of the junk they make now and they wouldn't have stopped making some of the good things.

MSD stopped production of the 10plus, that was a bad move. I hate it when accountants dictate that a good product line is unprofitable and discontinue production. Its not the product lines fault, its the sales reps who haven't recognized their job properly and promoted the right product.

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:19 pm 

i am using a 7al-3 with a pro power coil,billet distributor,ultra 40 wires and i have had zero problems with it except the corrosion problem on the rotor,i had a digital 6 and a blaster hvc II coil before this and had zero problems with it either,but thier customer service leaves alot to be desired

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:49 am 

shrinker wrote:
If he puts Holleys on the engine it destroys the dizzy cap in 2 weeks, just burns it out and semi melts the rotor button too. Now he has my Smartcarbys on the engine and it doesn't destroy the dizzy or the rotor button. Its done 10,000 miles without need for repair.
I

boy, i sat hear and read this over and over and over, trying to figure out how two different carbs could affect the ignition system. i am assuming it has to do with the tuning on the carb, right?
i can somewhat comprehend how a improperly tuned carb, causing too much fuel in cylinder chamber, can cause the ignition to work harder.

does it create a harder resistance on the actual spark?

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:41 am 

The vaporization level of the fuel at spark time affects the voltage needed to initiate current flow. its called the ionization voltage. the richer the environment is the less voltage needed for ionization. The richness of the environment is related to the homogenization and vaporization thats achieved prior to ignition its got nothing to do with the overall AFR. You can have a really rich 11:1AFR tune that is actually leaner than stoich around the plug at ignition time. That is a very common problem and its mainly caused by carburetor design and fuel separation in the ports and lack of compression pressure and time.

Once the electrons flow, combustion commences but its not straight away. There is a delay called ignition delay. The delay is caused by the time required to heat the oxygen to make it excited enough to oxidize the fuel very quickly (thats what combustion is, its just very fast rusting). The process of oxidation releases energy to the environment and once the energy level is high enough a self sustaining combustion is achieved. The ignition has excess energy to enable a duration of the arc, thats so that self sustaining combustion can be ensured. The 10+ varies the applied energy in response to the needs of the chamber. If you have a carburetor that has better homogenization and vaporization the 10+ will reduce duration and reduce the energy crossing the rotor assembly. Because reducing the duration enables energy to be transferred when the rotor is aligned with the post there is less arc disturbance to the cap etc. So a better carby reduces ignition load and subsequent wear.

The 10+ can have a duration up to 5 milliseconds if the cylinder wont light up. A normal duration for it with good fuel conditioning is usually around 1.5 milliseconds. Change the fueling strategy and it will show duration of 3 milliseconds easily. Its still the same engine, Ive done these tests that is what it does. Change the camshaft and fix issues there and the duration changes. I dont know how they do that electronic stuff but thats what happens on an engine. The 10+ is an exceptional piece of gear. Its annoying they stopped making it.

The easiest mixture to ignite is 10.5AFR.

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics