Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: NASCAR EFI System
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

Here is a link that shows what NASCAR is using for it's EFI system this year. Note that they are using direct port injection, not throttle body injection.

http://www.jayski.com/pr/EFIFastFacts.pdf

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: NASCAR EFI System
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:01 am 

I would like to know if the restriction plates are smaller than when they ran carbys. I would think they would have to be because they are passing dry not wet now.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:07 am 

Hey I got a funny one, if the computer calculates information from the sensors at the rate of 100 times per second as it says in the article then when the engine is doing 9000RPM there is a firing event at the rate of 600 times per second. So what does the computer do about that? =; Opps I guess it just fudges something for the cylinders to run on. HA HA HA HA.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:50 am 

Found this on plate size ... Base line restrictor plate of 29/32 inch (1/64 inch larger than plate size for the 2011 Daytona 500)
found that here ...http://thatsracinluckydog.blogspot.com/2012/01/daytona-test-will-unveil-new-rules.html
They will probably make adjustments to that size the weekend of the race ... it is not uncommon for them to do that.

Rick

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:37 pm 

shrinker wrote:
Opps I guess it just fudges something for the cylinders to run on. HA HA HA HA.

Artificial Intelligence =;

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

During testing at one point they were running over 206 MPH (memory?) and they supposedly did tweak the plate size somewhat then?

That ECM was designed by the F1 guys and we all know that those mad bumble bees turn up around 18,000 RPM (over 20K back in 2006) so I'm sure they have some algorithm that interpolates the lag time and puts it where it needs to be. I'm sure they will also get better as they get more feedback on what's actually happening with the different engines during a race.

Now, if they can just keep that piece that fits between the box and the harness out, (that some asshole will undoubtedly design), O:) they'll be doing OK! ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:26 pm 

So this process of adjusting plate sizes is that common per year on the carby races of the past?
So I now ask - if EFI is superior to carbys then why would they start with a larger plate size? Its already a dry plate so it should flow more air and then they go and make it bigger to start with!!!. Seem to me they want some marketing hype. It wouldn't look good if EFI didnt perform as well with the same size plates (which should actually be reduced to be correct).

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:23 pm 
Site Admin

They've "tweaked" plate size at the beginning of the year (sometimes mid season also) as the crew chief's find more speed. Most of this is from off season testing though. Way Back When, before they locked down the bodies and suspensions, there were some real "creative" guys doing stuff that was considered VERY unconventional at the time.

But back to the issue at hand, the only major difference now is that NASCAR put a lot of professional carb buliders in dire straights when the EFI system was approved. Of course the Nationwide and Truck series are still running carbs so those guys have work there, but, the hand writing is on the wall for them!

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics