Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: VDO Tach?
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:02 am 
Site Admin

The dragster had a VDO Xtreme 11 series playback tach mounted in the dash. I did some checking on this thing and seems it was the closest thing to a data logger one could get back in the 1990s without spending 3 grand. It's also got a shift light built into it too along with tach playback from release of the transbrake or any number of ways to record a run for playback afterwards. It even offers different playback speeds so you can see variations in RPM during the run. Prices I found listed it @ around $300 back then, which was a pretty expensive piece for that era. I don't have the user manual or install info but sent an Email to VDO last night trying to find that stuff. If it wasn't so big I might consider putting it in the new dash I'm making but at 5 inches it's a little too large for me so it looks like it will be a fleabay item in the not too distant future along with the 2 5/8" Autometer liquid filled temp and oil pressure gauges.

So is there a chance that any of you might have the user manual for one of these that you could copy and send me via Email? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: VDO Tach?
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:06 am 

ken , i have one of those tachos and i have the book and install as well. i am away with work presently for a few weeks but will pull it out and copy and email it to you .The one i have is brand new ,bought for a project and not used ,white face .

Post subject: Re: VDO Tach?
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:25 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Phoenix but I got an install guide from VDO Tuesday and forgot to update this thread. It is a 4 page document that has what I need but thanks for the thought and offer. Since I'm not planning to use mine it will probably wind up on Ebay along with those 2 5/8 inch liquid filled Autometer oil and temp gauges.

That tach is an interesting piece though and after reading the install/setup guide there's even more features there than I thought. If it weren't for the fact that theres so little room on a dragster dash I might would use it and it would also work fine on my door car but it already has an Innovate data logger in it and that car is sold as is rolling W/O engine, trans and electronics as soon as I finish testing the engine with it. May let the next owner have it and trade for the Autometer that's in that car now.

Ennywho, thanks again for the offer and if you feel there's more info there than the 4 page deal I got from VDO then you can send me copies of what you have anyway.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics