Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: radiator/fan relay
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:05 am 

I was talking to Ken on the phone last week and wanted to share what I did to aid in my cooling issue with my Beretta.
First of all I only have one battery in the car that was a mistake as I should have them put another tray in it even if I didn't use it..But Tony (ant1277) come up with this and it works very nicely..
If your running a relay witch you should be on your fans and water pump, hook a wire on the relay terminal that is not being
used. Join those two wires together and run them to where you can easily get to them and put a plug on it. I used a 10 gauge wire. Your going to need a deep cycle battery for this and make a wire harness from that battery with the other end of the plug..
So after I make a run I pull up to the trailer and shut the car off and get out and plug the fan/water pump wire into the deep cycle battery that will run just the fans and water pump and not drain the battery that I have in the car..
Very simple and works so far and you don't need that extra weight of the other battery in the car and won't have to worry about draining the battery that's you need for starting... =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject: Re: radiator/fan relay
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:33 am 

Thats a great idea. I dont have the room, and dont want to carry, a second battery. It wouldnt be hard to wire in a quick disconnect that is easy to get to.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:13 am 
Site Admin

At Eastside Speedway they go round robin from first round. At the other tracks that happens at round 4 or 5 so that means hauling a battery to the pits along with a fuel jug.

Dunno, I guess I'm lucky as my engine never has a problem starting even with only one battery. Of course, running methanol doesn't present the heat issues that are normally associated with gas but it still gets up around 190* or so. I run gas occasionally testing but I've never been to an actual race with this car on gas. That and I run a belt drive fuel pump also which draws no current. I can't ever remember charging the battery in this Camaro at the track. I do have a charging wire from the car connected to the truck system and it does get charged to and from the race track but I don't even have a battery charger in my trailer?

And would you believe that the battery in my Camaro is the one that was in the car when I bought it back in January of 06? O:) I guess it will surly crap out now that I'm bragging on it though! O:)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:28 am 

Round robin does not happen till after 4th round here...So I would hope it will last 2 rounds with the battery that's in the car........Also I refuse to cut open the grill on my car like yours is Ken.... =;
Also looking for a pit bitch it anyone has one for sale :- ...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:59 am 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
Round robin does not happen till after 4th round here...So I would hope it will last 2 rounds with the battery that's in the car........Also I refuse to cut open the grill on my car like yours is Ken.... =;
Also looking for a pit bitch it anyone has one for sale :- ...

Wow, only 6 rounds to the end??? 7 here most of the time??

Grill? Yeah, mine is open and I do turn the fan off when I turn on the top bulb. It gets turned back on after the stripe so it's only off for 30 seconds or less each pass. Oh, and I've only got one 10 inch fan too so it draws half of what your dual fans draw.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:36 am 

Yea 6 rounds but there used to be 7 most of the time but the economy has kept the count down with some of them only going every other weekend.

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:43 am 

I do run 2 batteries and an alternator. There has only been one time the batteries died since I added the alternator and that's when someone forgot to turn the fan and water pump off after a pass. My routine used to be run the fan and pump until the temp got below 130 but now sometimes I just shut it all down between rounds as long as it's below 190 and run them on the way to the lanes. It seems more consistent if I leave it warm until I'm getting ready for the next pass.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:46 pm 

We run an alternator so during round robin Jake runs the fans for a couple minutes then turns on the water pump for about 30 seconds and so until it drops to 160. Prior to round robin we charge between runs at 20 amps for 15-30 minutes.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

After a run I turn the fan and pump off when it hits 150*. Leaving staging I run the fan and water pump until I turn on the first bulb then the fan gets cut off. It's uaually around 160* by then.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:02 pm 

Interesting.... I run only the start-ignition systems on my second battery. Nothing like having a minor shutdown of track for a few minutes, kill engine and then she won't refire [-( happened once, and in went the second battery ignition set-up =D>

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics