Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: My DL-32 Logger
 Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:30 am 

I have an LM-1 with the RPM converter already installed in my drag car. It's a clean simple installation that allows me to see the LM-1 while tuning the mixture.

I'm installing a DL-32 today with a speed sensor, oil pressure, and coolant temp. I'd like to retain the LM-1 instead of installing an LC-1. Is there a way I can connect my LM-1 to the DL-32 and retain the functionality of both the LM-1 and RPM converter?

There was a cable that came with one of the kits that fits in the LM-1 analog outlet with three wires I assume connect to the DL-32 in some way. Is this what I should be using? If so with the data from the RPM converter be recorded in the DL-32 also?

Post subject: Re: My DL-32 Logger
 Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:45 pm 

Good question......... #-o ........I would send Greg kelly a email.. Or maybe Scott or Mark may have the answer..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:10 pm 

Yes you can, the LM1 has a serial out, connect it to the serial in on the DL32.

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:56 pm 

Donee, You seen one of those cables? ;-) I did speak to Greg this morning. He hadn't heard of the 3759 cable. I may order two so I can cut one up and see how it's wired. The DIN end has eight terminals and the 2.5mm end only has two conductors and a ground. Hmmmmm.

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:49 pm 

Bruce,
I've never actually seen that cable, but I have a LM1 and a DL32 and had talked to Felipe about using them together and he said it wouldn't be a problem. I decided to keep the LM1 out of the race car and use the portability for tuning other things that always show up around here ( dune buggies, 4 wheelers, lawnmowers and other people's cars).

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:33 pm 

I'm going to call Greg again in the morning. I got to get this show on the road. This has been an education to say the least. The one short rule has reared it's ugly head with this install.

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:24 am 

The LM-1 uses a simple 1/8th tip ring sleeve plug for analogue out voltages. Its cable number 3730.

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:35 pm 

You can make the Analog cable from radioshack parts, or an old unused pair of cheap earphones, FYI.

Someone above mentioned that you can connect the LM1 to the DL32 serially, if that is true I'd go that route instead. It eliminates one of the Analog-to-digital conversion steps between devices which is a good thing.

Sorry, never used the DL32 but have used many LC1s, LM1s, and an LM2 (which I had a hard time with).

-Scott

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:34 pm 

The LM-1 comes shipped with a serial connector cable, It goes into the DIN plug on the side but its terminated with a 9 pin serial connector for a computer on the other end. Its easier to just use the 1/8th plug on the bottom for analogue output voltages. The analogue output voltage is accurate and very fast. Its not averaged like the serial data for logworks is so if you use the analogue out with another brand of data logger thats not logworks you can get individual firing event AFR information.

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:51 pm 

shrinker wrote:
The analogue output voltage is accurate and very fast. Its not averaged like the serial data for logworks is

er, the serial data output on the LM1 and LC1 is the most accurate data you can get from it. There's an Analog-to-digital conversion (each conversion causes some signal loss) between the O2 sensor and the controller (LM1/LC1): at that point, you can take the serial datastream, OR you can take the Analog Output which is a step from Digital back to Analog - basically doubling your losses.

The guys at Innovate will definitely tell you to use the serial data if at all possible. I'm working on a project that's using 8 LC1s chained together, reading their single serial datastream logging all 8 channels and it's definitely capable of following real cylinder activity more accurately then running 8 analog outs.

Will the OP notice the difference? probably not. If he has the choice though, he should definitely go serial.

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:55 pm 

The serial information is what the OP needs because he has logworks its just that I'm pointing out some other options.
You cant data log the serial information with another data logger brand. The serial information only goes to logworks and the logworks program averages the data on the screen to the averaged AFR at the rate of 12 samples per second. Even if you export the log file to Excel and get the screen data as numbers its still averaged information. The sampling rate is 100 times per second at the WB cell. If the cell is on one cylinder you could see the AFR rise and fall as the exhaust gas passes if you wanted to do that. The analogue output voltages by pass the averaging, so they are as fast as the electronics will allow. I understand your point about accuracy of steps etc but speed is one thing and accuracy is another. When using just one sensor in a collector the speed option is a valuable aid at different stages of tuning.

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:58 pm 

dieselgeek wrote:
I'm working on a project that's using 8 LC1s chained together, reading their single serial datastream logging all 8 channels and it's definitely capable of following real cylinder activity more accurately then running 8 analog outs.

The OP uses a LM-1 the LC-1's you have are exactly 2 times faster sampling than the LM-1. So that is why you see sufficient information via serial display on logworks.

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:17 pm 

The serial cable #3759 is what I need. I ordered two and I hope to see them tomorrow. I went to radio shack last night to see if I could get the parts to make my own. They didn't have a DIN 8 end or cable and they didn't have a 2.5mm male stereo plug. The cables are cheap from Innovate and I'm having them dropped shipped here.

Now from what I can see in the LM-1 Manual not all those pins in the DIN 8 are used. 1 is not used as are7 and 8. 5 is 5 volt and I don't think that is used. 4 and 6 are grounds. 3 is RxD which should be recieve and 5 is Txd which is transmit, I think. So on a stereo plug 4 and 6 could be combined. I'm just not sure where 3 and 5 ahould go.

jmark helped me out with this in a conversation this morning.

I will be using the LM-1 for RPM and O2. The DL-32 will use channel #1 for CT, #2 for oil P, #3 for driveshaft speed, #4 for MAP, and #5 for accel. I may change the native MAP for a remote mounted MAP.

All I have to do is propram this thing. :-({|=

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:24 pm 

shrinker wrote:
The serial information only goes to logworks and the logworks program averages the data on the screen to the averaged AFR at the rate of 12 samples per second.

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but that is not correct. The serial data that gets "averaged" is what's reported on the analog outputs, and the display in logworks. The serial data stream that's sent out the serial port, is not buffered or average.

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:42 pm 

But you cant use the serial data on any other logger as its proprietary logworks. Back when the LM-1 was the only thing they made ,Klaus told me that the analogue outputs were faster than the reported logworks screen. Unfortunately we cant ask Klaus anything now days. You may not see that on your LC-1's but I was told that is the case for the LM-1.

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics