Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: Re: MSD
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:58 pm 

While I don't have any a-b data, I definitely think my car runs better with the alternator then without. I ran without the alternator because it seemed it wasn't keeping up. I have to run the fans quite a bit more in the summer to cool. I would watch my voltage gauge and once it started dipping below 14 volts, it would start effecting reaction time and et. I think the belt was slipping more then I realized, so I changed up from a v-belt to a cogged belt and I went from a 10 gauge alternator wire to a 4. I also increased the pulley ratio a tad. Increasing the wire size changed my voltage drop from 1.2 volts down to .25 volts. But the engine definitely seems to rev cleaner and react faster.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:02 pm 

One of the thing we have slated to do on the dyno is to try a 16 volt battery and charger, see what gains are made with the extra voltage. I have a feeling if the engine burns the fuel well we won't see much but if it isn't the extra volts will help.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:03 am 

You will find that the extra volts will make more difference the more accurate your tune is. Vaporization taxes ignition.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:26 am 

A racer here fitted a crane hi-6 to his race car with a conventional canister style coil like you describe. I saw it and checked the spark, it was very weak just like a normal ignition would be. I took him over to my car and showed him what the spark was like with the correct coil, he replaced the coil to the correct one during the week and next meeting he won his first feature race. Does that answer your question?

The PS-92 is the correct coil for a V8, the correct coil for a 4 cylinder is the LX-92. Either will work satisfactorily in the application you intend.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:59 am 

My advice is to get the Crane Hi-6 with the PS-92 coil. Crane will argue black and blue that the LX series coils are the best and they try to sell you the LX coils bundled in a kit at an attractive price. Dont believe them. The PS coil is internally different to the LX coils, they are not just a heat sink, they deliver a more stable arc than the LX coils. The PS-92 coil is the gun. It produces better combustion gases.
You may be happy with the MSD but I have never had any MSD outperform a Crane other than the MSD 10+ (no longer available)

The other day we were talking about ICE ignitions. well here is another story. I have just finished a job on a hotrod stroked to 393 3VCHI headed clevo that the owner had an ICE ignition on, I told him to go away and install a Crane and bring it back. He duly did that and I re dynoed the car. It made 13hp more at the wheels and the ignition was then good enough for me to obtain a further 42hp with carby tuning (it was a 830 demon). The ignition was not up to the task of obtaining that power with the ICE. I dont know what it is that people see in ICE ignitions, from every job I have ever done here they dont work as the optimum choice when you improve vaporization. As for the engine masters contest ICE is the brother of CHI, so now do you see why ICE is on the CHI headed Fords that win.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:29 pm 

Im going to take your word and install a crane hi-6 and ps-92 coil over the winter.I hope I see improvement over my 6al box and hvc coil.I was going to install a old 7al-2 and pro coil.

BEST TIME TO DATE 9.99 1/4 MILE @132MPH.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

JEFF69Z28 wrote:
I hope I see improvement over my 6al box and hvc coil.

I'm sure you already know this but I'm going to remind you anyway........ NEVER CHANGE BUT ONE THING AT A TIME! If you plan ANY other changes over the winter, I do think it wise to wait until AFTER you had some runs with OTHER changes you might make this winter before you go horking with the ignition. I really like "A/B" tests, ie, only change ONE thing week to week so you know what each thing is doing. ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:46 pm 

The 7al-2 is a very good ignition, if you have one use it. Its a definite advantage over the MSD 6. It would be a good idea to install it now and get yourself familiar with how the enigne may be changed tuning wise because of different ignition energy. You will need to atune yourself to the sensitivities of the process. Practice makes perfect.
The main advantage of using the Crane is that you can further the tuning towards improved vaporization. BUT in order to run an engine with more vaporization than normal it is necessary to have the right combination inside the engine. If you have heads with turbulence or not enough dynamic compression you will not be able to achieve the result. How the fuel burns in the chamber is the result of everything you do wrong to it along the path of getting there. MSD igntion's work well in the common style of hotrodder engine, but the Crane will allow you to tune the engine stronger at idle. Achieving that stronger idle is the key to improving every other aspect of the power curve. You must start with the idle and work up from there. If you pursue your tuning skills you will eventually run into the need to have a Crane, so you may as well start there is my argument to everyone. I just tell people to buy stuff once but make sure you buy what you will eventually need. Its far cheaper that way.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:06 pm 

What coil would you use with the 7al-2

BEST TIME TO DATE 9.99 1/4 MILE @132MPH.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:36 pm 

Ive scoped them with the pro coil and with the big blue ones I think it was. Id use the big blue ones. Theres 2 styles isnt there, a red and a blue one, whatever HVC one is the recomended. I was not impressed with the pro coil thats all i can remember.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:09 am 

The smaller gap will allow more energy transfer in the shorter time available at high RPM. Do whatever suits you.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:36 pm 

Your using indexing washers, try this---put more washers on a plug and observe if the black moves further along the electrode strap. That will show you if the black is from poor surface scavenging of the head or from the mixture being too rich with a cold plug.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:37 pm 

The threads on the plug look rounded whats going on there?

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics