Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:42 am 

Is this the best way to wire up a nitrous and transbrake setup.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c130/351clevo/wire-nos2tb-1.gif

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:20 am 
Site Admin

The way I see it, there's about $40/50 worth of relays in that diagram?? I've never been a fan of relays on a race car. They just make trouble shooting more of a nightmare IHMO. I've also never seen anyone use a stand alone relay to operate a transbrake solenoid unless it was built into a delay box, which they DO NOT have in that diagram either??

On my Studebaker, I had a series of micro switches mounted on it to control when the NO2 came in. In addition to the throttle switch, I also had one of those mounted on the transbrake solenoid and another on the shifter linkage at the tranny. I could activate the NO2 in a number of ways, ie, comes in when the transbrake releases, comes in in low gear only, comes in in high gear only or comes in anytime I pressed the button on the steering wheel and I did this without using ANY relays. Some of those functions required that some wires be disconnected and reconnected elsewhere but it did work and was simple to understand. That diagram in that link you posted is more confusing to me than shrinker's explanation of chassis dynamics. ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:48 pm 

Yes thats the way i want to hook it up. When you release the transbrake switch the nitrous come on.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

cleveland wrote:
Yes thats the way i want to hook it up. When you release the transbrake switch the nitrous come on.

That one is pretty easy to do. You need two of those throttle switches. One for the throttle and one for the transbrake solenoid. Wire those in series with the nitrous solenoids. I would include a button override too if I were you.

The micro switch for the throttle can be mounted on the carburetor. The one on the Tbrake solenoid will likely require that you fabricate a bracket to mount it on. Make sure that your micro switches are capable of both NO (normally open) and NC (normally closed) use. They should have 3 connections on them. You'll want the one on the throttle to be NO until you go WFO with the throttle. The one on the Tbrake would need to be NC with the Tbrake released. Wire these in series connected to a fused toggle switch on your switch panel on one end and connected to the NO2 solenoids on the other. That way the Tbrake MUST be released and the THROTTLE must be on the floor to make the NO2 come in. The manual override button (two prong) goes from toggle switch through the button then to the solenoids.

If your NO2 system has a pressure switch in the gas line to the gas solenoid then that gets connected in series also. That will prevent the NO2 from actuating unless it sees fuel pressure. PS, THAT ONE IS A MUST, IMHO! If one is in the system then run the wire to that first, then out of the other terminal to the NO2 and gas solenoids.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:11 pm 

cleveland wrote:
Is this the best way to wire up a nitrous and transbrake setup.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c130/351clevo/wire-nos2tb-1.gif

That diagram is using way too many relays! There are many way to skin a cat... Ken, I know you aren't a fan of relays, but depending on what NOS solenoid is being used, and how many, a single NOS solenoid can pull between 6 and 40 amps Thats a big load for most micro switches. My larger NOS systems, full blown NOS deal, I use continuous duty solenoids. On my bracket deal where the NOS system is for finish line racing, or small kits, I use a single Bosch style.

Let me look and see if i can find a simpler diagram for what you want to do....

Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:32 pm 

Here is a real quick of how we do what you want to do..using my kids markers and my phone. LOL he just happened to be at the counter coloring.

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics