Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: PLUG WIRES
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:11 pm 

What are some good plugs wires to run now days? Thanks Kenny

Post subject: Re: PLUG WIRES
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:13 pm 

I have been runnig the accel 300 for about 10 years.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

I've got two sets. One set is made by MSD and the other set is a "Summit" brand that look like MSD wires? Both are 8.5mm and I have no problems with either.

FYI, MSD recommends that you change the coil wire often because it carries current to ALL the plugs whereas each plug wire only fires that one plug. Coil wire is 8 to 1 rato in other words. ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:19 pm 

http://www.firecore50.com/

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:24 pm 

I have been using MSD wires for just about ever....No problems at all and like Ken said change that coil wire often.....And have a spare in the trailer ;-)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:53 pm 

thanks guys I will ck that coil wire in the morning. KRAZYKEN \:D/ \:D/

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:21 am 

i run taylor plug wires. seem to hold up really well. i just checked the resistance in the set i had and they were still good after about 7 yrs. i bought a new set anyways cause 50 bucks is cheaper than having a miss in the finals!

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:05 am 

Yeah im thinkem eather msd or taylor. Taylor is made right here in missouri...

Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:00 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
FYI, MSD recommends that you change the coil wire often because it carries current to ALL the plugs whereas each plug wire only fires that one plug. Coil wire is 8 to 1 rato in other words. ;-)

Beretta wrote:
like Ken said change that coil wire often.....And have a spare in the trailer ;-)

So, current running thru the wire is what makes it go bad??? Do we change out the romex in our house because the copper wears out from running the hair dryer or TV?

Come on, I've never had a coil wire go bad, but if it did go bad, it would be a breakdown of insulation from heat or rubbing on it.

You guys amaze me at how many ways you can find to waste money on your race cars. :- I'd recommend changing them often too, if I owned MSD.

I've normally bought Accel or MSD wires. Never had a set wear out yet. One set bought for each race car or engine.

Rick

Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:11 pm 

I have a set of the old Holley ones from when they were making ignitions, and they still test right at 50 ohms a foot.......But I will be replacing them when the new engine is done, due to different headers, different routing, and different firing order.........I'll keep them around as spares though..........

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:24 pm 

Firecore will make then to your specs. With pro mod boots if you want. Check them out. They will not come off unless you pull them off. I like our set. They are made by the owner of the company. They have been proven by racers that they produce lass interference with electronics.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:35 pm 

rick360 wrote:
Ken0069 wrote:

Beretta wrote:
like Ken said change that coil wire often.....And have a spare in the trailer ;-)

So, current running thru the wire is what makes it go bad??? Do we change out the romex in our house because the copper wears out from running the hair dryer or TV?

Come on, I've never had a coil wire go bad, but if it did go bad, it would be a breakdown of insulation from heat or rubbing on it.

You guys amaze me at how many ways you can find to waste money on your race cars. :- I'd recommend changing them often too, if I owned MSD.

I've normally bought Accel or MSD wires. Never had a set wear out yet. One set bought for each race car or engine.

Rick

So your running hard copper wire in your wires Rick??? And your boots are not close to your headers?? :-k

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:47 pm 

Beretta wrote:
So your running hard copper wire in your wires Rick??? And your boots are not close to your headers?? :-k

MSD website wrote:
we use a copper alloy conductor due to it's great voltage carrying capabilities. The low resistance results in less loss in spark energy so more reaches the spark plug. The conductor is wound extremely tight around a special center core. So tight in fact, that there is over 40 feet of conductor wrapped into a single foot of plug wire. This winding procedure, combined with a ferro-magnetic impregnated center core, produces an extremely effective Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) "choke".

I didn't know what they are made of so I checked. It doesn't matter though, does ANY conductor wear out due to the current thru it, assuming it is not overheated by the current?

The coil wire (and its boots) is LESS LIKELY to be burnt or rubbed on something to damage it and its shorter. My spark plug boots aren't very close to the header, wires loop down under the header at the back of the engine. My coil wire is completely out of harms way.

My point was that a coil wire won't "wear out" any faster than any other wire. Keep them off the headers and they last a REALLY LONG time. Heat and age will break down the insulation until it finally starts arcing thru ... then replace them all.

Rick

Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:44 am 

I dont know what it is that causes it but wires do loose performance over time. You can see it on a scope and the exhaust emissions change when you replace especially the coil wire. Different brands of wires create different combustion results too. I have seen the results of this many times. Its not just the resistance per foot that matters either. A spiral wound wire is an air gap coil and I suppose thats something to do with it.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:33 pm 

shrinker wrote:
I dont know what it is that causes it but wires do loose performance over time. You can see it on a scope and the exhaust emissions change when you replace especially the coil wire. Different brands of wires create different combustion results too. I have seen the results of this many times. Its not just the resistance per foot that matters either. A spiral wound wire is an air gap coil and I suppose thats something to do with it.

Probably has to do with the surface resistance of the wire changing over time from oxidation on the surface of the wire. Do a search for wire skin effect. When carrying AC current, the surface of the wire carries the most current, diminishing as it moves toward the core. The higher the frequency, the thinner the "skin" that carries the current. Probably not subject to the same level of oxidation copper or silver is, but still a possibility.

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics