Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: backfeeding alternator
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:57 am 

i found today that if i switch the motor off it continues to run until it runs out of fuel,, is it possible that the alternator is backfeeding the ignition system.. if i disconnect the alt light wire at the alternator motor stops as soon as i turn it off, also if i remove the bulb it stops when turned off.. when i turn it off the warning light comes on and stays on until motor runs out off fuel..alternator is a powermaster 7294

Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:08 am 
Site Admin

You need to add a diode to your dash light/exciter circuit to prevent current feedback to the MSD. The user manual from MSD has a section in it to deal with this issue.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:59 am 

zephyrc wrote:
i found today that if i switch the motor off it continues to run until it runs out of fuel,, is it possible that the alternator is backfeeding the ignition system.. if i disconnect the alt light wire at the alternator motor stops as soon as i turn it off, also if i remove the bulb it stops when turned off.. when i turn it off the warning light comes on and stays on until motor runs out off fuel..alternator is a powermaster 7294

When you turn off what switch? Main battery disconnect or the ignition switch?

Did you change something or when/how did this happen.

Rick

Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:23 am 

rick,, it is happening when i turn of the ignition switch,,, my ign live is fed from a fuse board to all ign live parts including the alt light and oil pressure light.. its been that way for 3 years or more, but only now has it started back feeding.. have i wired the car incorrectly or is the alternator faulty

Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:52 am 

alternator has 3 wire connectios,,. main power feed to battery,,, alternator warning light and another terminal which i am told is to sense battery voltage

Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:34 pm 

It's strange that it did work and doesn't now, but I'd look into the MSD info like Ken suggested. You are definitely getting power back to your ignition from your alternator. A diode should prevent that. On 3-wire alts I always wired them as 2-wire using only the main large wire and a single wire from ignition with a diode between the terminals. I remember when the diode was backward the car wouldn't turn off.

Rick

Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:08 pm 

have ordered the diodes, will be a couple of days i guess, will fit one and let you know.. is this a fault in the alternator that has arisen..

Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

zephyrc wrote:
have ordered the diodes, will be a couple of days i guess, will fit one and let you know.. is this a fault in the alternator that has arisen..

Can't answer that but I run a 3 wire on both my cars. One has a 7AL and the other has a Digital 7 and both require that diode before they will shut off by the switch.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:00 am 

Just curious if the diode took care of it or was it something else?

PHILLYGOAT

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:22 pm 

I use a separate 150 amp circuit breaker in the feed line to the alternator. One click shuts the entire car down... no worries about something left on and draining battery dead.

Paid $15.00 for it, solid piece of equipment, gave me a 10% online order discount, the ride to NJ from Cali was $6.80.

Quality Power Auto, Inc., in Yucaipa, Ca. 92399.... 909-794-1600. Qualitypower@aol.com

CB-150 Circuit breaker-150 amp... was called a Scorpion IIRC.

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics