Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:56 am 

Hey guys,

Since I have decided to go with (2) battery's, and since it is an Elcamino with a rear bed, I will mount one battery on each side of the fuel cell which is right in the middle of the bed in the rear area. Now, in trying to keep things simple, which way would you guys wire them in?

1. Wire them in series-which If I have a problem with one, it may drag down the other...
2. Wire them seperatly to the kill switch-which gives me more to wire, and more cables on the kill switch...

Obviously, if they were side by side this would be a gimme on wiring, kinda maybe, guess it is my option really in the end...

They will be about 4 feet apart from each other and the kill switch is on the right rear of the bumper. I was just going to wire them seperatly and be done with it, what do you guys think? Thanks for your input =;

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:03 am 

When you wire 2 batteries in parallel you wire them so that one has the ground and the other has the active. This way they share the load correctly. If you wire them so that one battery has the ground and the active and the other is just a parallel to it the first battery does more work than the other. I also wonder why 2 batteries, what are you trying to solve?

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:28 am 

Wiring them in series means you take the + from one battery and connect it to the - of the other, ground the - of one battery and the + of the other goes to the load. If you do this with two 12 volt batteries you end up with 24 volts. When you wire them in parallel you wire the + of one to the + of the other then from one of the + terminals to the load. Then ground both of the - terminals. This will give you 12 volts from two 12 volt batteries but it will give you the combined amperage of the 2 batteries. Unless you could come up with some type of isolator I don't think you can wire the batteries so that if one fails it won't affect the other.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:23 am 

6 of one half a dozen of another. If they were together you would hook pos to pos and neg to neg. If they are apart they would meet at the switch. Same concept more wire like you said. if you have a 4 terminal switch, one battery to the big teminals go to the starter, alt, fans, water pump relays if you run them. The other battery to the small terminals to run everything else. of course the Alt won't charge the second battery.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics