Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: Re: Weather Station
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:24 pm 
Site Admin

Tanner wrote:
Ken, what weather station are you using with the crew chief pro?

Tanner I've got a LaCrosse weather station that gives me humidity, barometric pressure and temp and I plug those numbers into CCP and it spits out DA, etc. The accuracy of the weather station is not my concern. What is my concern is how it relates to different weather conditions week to week, meaning, if it's 2 degrees off then it will be 2 degrees off next week and the week after, etc. So when I change stuff on the car I can see how much different weather was the week or two weeks, etc before the changes. To be honest though, the damn thing "seems" to follow the conditions stated in my are on both the Weather Underground and Hamweather so I don't think it's that far off on any of it.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:36 am 

I've been lookin at the CCP 7.1 for about a week now. He suggests using the Performaire PC with it (Altronics trailer station/computer program). Problem I see when researching the Performaire PC and it's program is redundancy. From the specs, Performaire PC does everything on it's own that they say CCP does for you. So I'm not seeing the benefit of spending $300+ on another program on top of the weather/computer unit. Just what does CCP do for you that you don't already get with the trailer station? Predictions just based on a dif formula? I guess I need him to sell me his product now that he's suggested a weather unit that appears to make his program unnecessary. [-(

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:29 am 

CCP is a much better program that in my opinion not only has more accurate predictions, but it allows you to adjust the predictions for changing track conditions by adjusting for your expected 60' time. If you build data on your opponents, it also predicts how far ahead/behind you should be a various track intervals.

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:42 am 

mslayton wrote:
If you build data on your opponents, it also predicts how far ahead/behind you should be a various track intervals.

Don't see how this would matter. I've never been in a race where I knew who I was going to be running against at the trailer. Outside of a rare final that is. I'm sure this would be of more value to someone in a bracketed format, running against the same people in a series. But even then you only get the opponets that you've happened to run in the past. And if they aren't running the same throttle stop settings or dial they were 2 months ago when you last run them, then it will be feeding you misinformation.

So basically the only dif on it's predictions is that it lets you change what the 60' is going to be? Which is a guess anyway. Still not seeing the value over the weather stations program? I'm looking for it, believe me, but it looks like you're being sold the same thing twice.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:57 am 

Nobody has mentioned the Kestrel, either the 4000 or the newer 4250. I use the 4000 with good results and I know of others that consider it a very good weather station as well.

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics