Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: EGT Probes?
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

Well, looks like I've got one of these that is reading about 75* hotter than is should. Went looking for a replacement only to find that the place where I bought them last time for $29 each now has them at $42??? In two years??? Are these things made from crude oil? That's like a 40%+ increase??

Ennywho, anyone have a source for these. What I'm using is the SS hose clamp style K thermocouple and it has to fit a 2.125 pipe.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: EGT Probes?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:48 am 

Check with Chuck Ken as he got them for me but I don't know how much they were........ :-

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:20 am 

I can't get them any cheaper than that. My cost is over $42.00.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:48 pm 

Ken, How do you know one is reading hotter than it should? What test did you perform?
Plug that probe into a different channel and see if it still read too hot.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

shrinker wrote:
Ken, How do you know one is reading hotter than it should? What test did you perform?
Plug that probe into a different channel and see if it still read too hot.

I've done two tests that confirm the #8 thermocouple is bad. First I put the #6 probe in #8 cylinder and EGTs were close to the readings of #4 and others. Then after I got home I switched banks from right to left with the TC-4 connectors and the high temps followed that thermocouple to the other box. Then I took my Omega HH-11 single probe that I used before I got the TC-4s and installed that one in #8 and temps were similar to the other cylinders too so one would "assume" that the thermocouple was horked up.

If I had a known heat source up around 1350* (where most cylinders run) I could test it that way too but unfortunately I don't have anything to give me that info. I just figured I'd replace that one, but not at $42. I'll just take the spare off the Omega and use that since it's reading similar to the others.

Funny though, one would think that if the sensor was going bad that it either wouldn't read at all or would be low, since voltage output of the thermocouple usually goes up with temperature increases. I checked all the connections to make sure everything was tight and they were. That and I also removed the connector cables and reconnected them to make sure there was good contact there, no change.

Looks like something happens to this system every winter. Each spring I've had "issues" with it since I installed it. I guess this coming winter I just need to hook it up to a battery with a charger on it and leave it on all the time.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:23 pm 

Well why i asked is its unusual for it to read hotter, to do that it has to generate more voltage or have a problem at the cold junction reference. So I dont know.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:00 am 

ken I would think you can just get yourself a regular K type thermocouple and silver solder it into a new hose clip..

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics