Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: New wires
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:24 pm 

We put on a set of Firecore50 wires on the wagon. http://www.firecore50.com I placed a custom set of wires on order on line. A couple of days later Rick Gorski the owner called me at about 9 pm while I was working on the wagon. When I talked to Rick We talked about the wires and what I needed to do prior to running them. He said the Taylors I was running were good wires but when I changed over to his I needed to bump up the Jets because it would lean it out. So I went up 2 in the front 3 in the back and I'm on the lean side of what I was with the Taylors by looking at the plugs. The car ran about the same numbers as it did last year.

We had changed the oil Friday night and it usually slows the car almost a 10th for about the first 5 runs. The left lane was reground and it was coming as the night went on. The first round Eliminations (4th run) was the best run and 60'. Jake was the first car in line and they had just ran a special super pro race so I was checking the starting line and the started asked me if I wanted him to spray the track and I said He!! no it was perfect. It shows ;-) After the forth run I will put up the numbers and Jets from 18 APR last year.

60' ET MPH DA
1.5648 6.9351 99.72 1520
1.5454 6.9253 99.35 1550
1.5530 6.9141 99.09 1526
Eliminations
1.5068 6.8669 99.53 1172 Jets 84/87 30 MAB
Last year
1.5100 6.8590 100.19 1113 Jets 82/84 34 MAB
Eliminations cont. 2 hours between E1 and E2 runs
1.5271 6.8901 99.58 890
1.5460 6.8808 100.03 667

Next week we will do some 1/4 mile testing but we will be working toward the 11.0 index. What are some of your thoughts? As a side note. A local speed shop is a dealer and It had a $10 mark up. So I got them the next day. A standard set SBC/BBC is $105. Anyways the shop took his Mom's Suburban and put it on their Chassis dyno and then added the new wires and it showed a 20 HP gain. They didn't say anything about the torque.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post subject: Re: New wires
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:01 am 

no intrest in the wires :-s

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:02 am 

There are no plug wires in the world that will make a properly running engine with a good ignition make more power. Kinda like all the fancy spark plugs people get conned into buying for better performance or better mileage . . . as much as people want it to be true, it doesn't happen.

The best thing you can do with plug wires is buy a set with sufficient insulation for the cylinder pressures your engine has an with good heat resistance, then keep them as far away from the exhaust as possible.

Rick

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:05 am 
Site Admin

Sorry Steve, NOT AT OVER A "C" NOTE A SET! I never believe tests done by someone trying to sell their own s**t. If it's an A/B/C test done by an independent outfit with NOTHING to gain, then I might give some thought to what they have to say.

Neither you nor I have any idea what condition "his Mom's" Subdivision was in to begin with and no mention was made as to whether they tested ANYONE ELSE'S WIRES to see what HP gain could be gotten with those over the ones that were on the engine to begin with.

Another question would be is if you and Jake had run the "Wagon" on a good track since last year to get a base line because you did change some other stuff last winter? I'd suggest that since you have them on the engine now, I'd run a race or two then put the old wires back on to see if there is a difference. My money says that there probably isn't any difference.

And on a final note. Do you reckon Mike Edwards, Greg Anderson or Jegie are running these wires? ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:09 am 
Site Admin

Looks like Rick and I were typing at the same time, with pretty much the same thoughts, hey! ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:33 am 

Ken, the only thing we did was change the oil. and spark plugs, cap and rotor. We were going to get new wires anyways and Taylors (which we have been running come out to about $80 when all said and done. Also the first T&T in Mar with the old wires and jets it ran a 6.93 and 96 on the best runs. Dyno numbers are from skeptical shops from yellow bullet. http://www.firecore50.com/dyno.htm As far as who runs them.

IN THE NEWS 1st QTR 2010

Well, 2010 is off to a great start. Starting with NHRA, two races finished, and two number one qualifiers in Top Fuel. With two champion's in Arizona, and a runner up in Pomona. This year, we solidified our 100% team involvement with Don Schumacher Racing. This includes all three Top Fuel Dragsters of Tony Schumacher, Cory McClenathan and new team member Antron Brown. All of the Fuel Funny Cars of Ron Capps, Jack Beckman, and Matt Hagan trust FireCore50 High Performance Ignition Wires to fire their 8000 horsepower Hemi's as well.. We are proud to have back Matt Smith and his new wife Angie Smith McBride using FireCore50's on their Pro Stock Motorcycles. Last year, after switching to FireCore50 wires, Schumacher race teams netted four number one qualifiers, nine number two qualifiers, and 9 Championship and runner-ups, including the Top Fuel Championship to Tony. In fact, every T/F vehicle using our wires finished in the top five for the NHRA Full Throttle Points Series. Last year, another VIP T/F Funny Car customer, Tim Wilkerson, won the first two races(Seattle and Sonoma) after switching to FireCore50's . He finished a solid forth in points for 2009.

Switching to Outlaw ProMod, Mike Janis conquered all at the Shakedown at E-Town, not only qualifying first with his Blown BAE Hemi, running a 3.926-second, 192.85-mph, but also received the $20,000 check in the winners circle for the Barwa 1/8-Mile Challenge. This was his first race using our wires. Good luck to Mike in his NHRA ProMod quest this year. Other notable ProMods on our Team FireCore are all of the Mel Roth cars, Tommy D'Aprile, Cody Barklage, Bubba Stanton, the Roth Racing's 41 Willy's from Canada, Ellis Vial's brand new Firebird, Mick Baker's Olds, and over a dozen more Mag 44 sparked Pro Mod race cars.

Look for a much deeper penetration this year in the NMCA, NMRA, and ADRL, as our dealer Ryan Micke from Mick's Performance will be racing their all new ProCharged BAE Camaro in several classes and many events.

Last year, our Dealer in Iowa, Gene Hinders, has been in three finals in as many races, winning two . Taking the championship and four straight wins in NMRA drag radial last year, was Jason Lee, also holding the BFG Drag Radial record at 7.97 @ 174.85. Dan Rawls , NMCA ,not only has won, I believe four times also, but holds the Renegade Mustang low ET record AND Top Speed record as well at 8.44 @ 163.22 mph. Doug Sikora holds records for both the quickest and fastest Outlaw 10.5 car on the planet, with 6.67 and 210 mph. Vern House Race cars still hold the 8.5 tire record, and have some new tricks for this year. There are many more record-breaking contenders who purchased over the winter, so stay tuned and look for our logo-stickers on the quickest of quick at your track's.

We are very happy to add another new member to the team, Billy Glidden. He will be racing his brand new 2010 Mustang this year, and trusting his spark to FireCore50 wires.

Switching to Mopars, I think Lonnie Smith is Team FireCore50's winning-est racer. Back to back to back 10.0 Championships, and running in three classes in a Mopar five-race series, he was the one to beat. Jeff Day was our back to back Max Wedge Champion, and we had the top four in the Quick 16 of the same series. Congrats Chris Wheatcraft, and his Indy-Powered Neon.

We are really looking forward to a great 2010, with a number of race-proven, new product's hitting the streets and track's. Remember, we are a title sponsor along with UPR, for the Ford's at the Summit show, at Summit Motorsports Park, July 23rd-25th. If you are a customer, and have a great testimonial, picture, or highlight, please contact us.

As always, we value every customer, and treat everybody with equal respect and priority. It is our privilege to supply your sweet-ride, with the very finest Ignition Wires available.

If you do it FAST and CHEAP, it won't be GOOD
If you do it CHEAP and GOOD, it won't be FAST
If you do it FAST and GOOD, it won't be CHEAP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We welcome our Newest Dealer located in Elizabethtown, KY - Brangers Performance & Machine to the FireCore Family!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We welcome the Don Schumacher Racing Team to FireCore50 family.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

We know how that goes. I'd run them too if they gave them to me. Did they mention any Pro Stock engine builders in that group? I didn't see any?

So Steve, how much did you actually pay for your set? O:) ;-)

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:41 pm 

$115

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:43 pm 

OUUUUUCH!!! #-o I see lots of these same ad's about wires, and like already mentioned, if they are the biggest wire, have the best resistance rating to them(like zero in a perfect world) and are kept away from heat and fluids, no wire should be any better. Granted, if the wire is even larger inside, this should allow for even less resistance to current flow and cause a little hotter spark, maybe, but there is always that one possible cylinder that could pick up a little more power due to a higher resistant wire that may have been going bad from heat, time, whatever.

I know Gene also, but since the NMCA and MSD work together to pay contincengy, I need to stay with MSD and a full MSD ingition system has never failed me yet. JMO though Steve, and support who ever you can aford to help out is what I say.

If we check out plug wires pre & post to every season we would fine more about our wires than just buying a new set when in question and save that money for something else needed.

Let us know if you make more gains Steve, I would be interested.

Are you ready for the NMCA at BG? We won't make it, ](*,) ](*,) but we will hit Milan, hopefully Chicago and maybe Gateway for the finals, need cash to travel and eat and entry fees....
John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:23 pm 

The claim from them that using there wires causes it to lean out is BS. So now the wires suddenly changed the jetting? [-(
What they should have said but didnt understand is that using their wires alters the spark energy profile at the plug. Now what they didn't want to tell you is-- you are a racer so your tuning is richer than stoich and that means that you should have excess carbon and hydrogen during the burn, now those 2 elements MUST cause deposits on sparkplugs, it doesn't matter if your leaded, unleaded, alcohol fuel etc, if you are richer than stoich and there is correct combustion you will get deposits on your sparkplugs and they will be black or tan or green or yellow depending upon what elements and compounds are mixing as solids on the plug. So if the guy told you that it will lean out, what he's actually telling you is the plug will look whiter and that means that the combustion is NOT AS GOOD AS BEFORE. Now if the car goes faster or slower I dont care because all that means is that it wasn't right before hand.
You have now added more fuel and that's altered everything, its altered emulsion, its altered the amount of fuel gases at ignition time, its altered the ideal ignition timing curve, heaps and heaps of stuff. So you cant assess anything.
But the critical thing is if the plugs look whiter then the initial combustion is occurring in an environment of less gas state fuel molecules. The spark energy has a very big effect on the combustion of the initial flame kernel, which is what you can see on a plug and if its whiter then the flame kernel isn't forming as fast and it isn't maximizing energy into the chamber. The cylinder may make more or less power so if you truly want to hunt down performance you have to control the flame kernel first.

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics