Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:26 am 

I ran a MSD 7al for years, I used a 2 step for the rev limits, then added another 2 step for the shift light because I have to shift out of 1st gear at a lower rpm. Then I came across a great deal on a Holley Annihilator and decided to give it a try. I like it a lot better because you program the 3 rev limits and 2 rpm switches (which I use for the shift light) and spark retard with a pin pad, no more fumbling around for rpm chips. Performance-wise I didn't see any difference. It is all wraped up in a neat package so it looks a lot cleaner too.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:49 pm 

gearhead1011 wrote:
I ran a MSD 7al for years, I used a 2 step for the rev limits, then added another 2 step for the shift light because I have to shift out of 1st gear at a lower rpm. Then I came across a great deal on a Holley Annihilator and decided to give it a try. I like it a lot better because you program the 3 rev limits and 2 rpm switches (which I use for the shift light) and spark retard with a pin pad, no more fumbling around for rpm chips. Performance-wise I didn't see any difference. It is all wraped up in a neat package so it looks a lot cleaner too.

That's good to know right there \:D/ \:D/

Mitch

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

I bought a compete MSD digital 7 setup last year and was planning to put it on that last dragster I had. It's still sitting here in the shop still new in the box. That thing has more ways to set stuff than I'll probably learn in a life time. The thing that interested most me about it was that you can connect it to a computer and change the advance curve all over the place if you want. I may use it if I ever build that "BIG" engine. =;

Have MSD 7AL stuff on both the Studebaker and the Camaro, kinda like those "spares" Ron mentioned and yes, I've had that box off the Stude and on another car recently. Never hurts to have more than one of things like that.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:16 pm 

radz, we have set gm hei's up on dist machine at 8,000 rpm. raced hei in 350 at 7400rpm, running one at 6500 rpm in my 283, and the 283 is going 4bbl this year and plan on turning that one 7,000- 7,200. \:D/ \:D/ you need to do a couple of thing's to them. 1 shim gear and remove end play. been setting them to .008. remove vacuum advance and make it mechanical. i cut vac advance off at dist housing. use rod to alighn rotor with terminal on cap. solder rod in place to mount so rotor lines up with cap terminal when sensor is at firing point. use masking tape to cover housing where vac advance was cut off and fill with silicone and install cap. this will cover opening into dist and is neat and clean. if you want to test dist before installing mount in vise remove top cover to coil,hook up voltage to connectors and spin over. terminal lugs will fire to coil ground strapping. and what is realy cool!! turn that dist realy slow and watch it fire you wouldnt think it would fire turning so slow. and i tested on one time on a 6volt lantern battery..tony. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

ecbrc super stock 315 4bbl 2007 champs. high point boat overall 2007.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:31 am 

Ken0069 wrote:
I bought a compete MSD digital 7 setup last year and was planning to put it on that last dragster I had. It's still sitting here in the shop still new in the box. That thing has more ways to set stuff than I'll probably learn in a life time. The thing that interested most me about it was that you can connect it to a computer and change the advance curve all over the place if you want. I may use it if I ever build that "BIG" engine..

Ken ... You'll love the Digital 7, my neighbor runs one , he got everything figured out and programmed and he can barely read an email let alone do programming ......

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:46 am 
Site Admin

Yeah Duane I'm sure I'll figure it out when the time comes. The only thing I haven't been able to fix in my lifetime was a washing machine timer. Screw those things [-( \:D/

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Hi
 Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:27 am 

Hi all

Im lucky as I have am electronic friend who can help me in this dept.

I use an MSD DIG 6
Reason
RPM limits set by a switch and not modules
Start retard and 2 step retard for NOS.

Biggest thing is ity only uses 5 amps at 7500 rpm for me and that low voltage draw helps my battery last,
I use a billet dissy bit that only creates a circuit so its not important
The other thing i use is a big voltage box and capacitor before the DIG 6 that takes my 12 volts and turns it into 16 volts so Im always at peak output.
And for those of you who use a 6al or 7al, you should get one of those voltage boxes as the 6al and 7al drop performance big time if yoiu dont have an alternator.

Trev

Everthing on this car is all done by myself
650 HP Plus 300 Nos
Best so far
1.38 60 ft, 6.3 1/8 at 110 mph and 10.2 at 135 mph, long way to go before i reach my low nine hey

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics