Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: Ignitions systems
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:18 pm 

=D> =D> Ok I start this one off....what igniton system do you use or are currently using....and why.....don't say because so and so turned you on to it or you saw it in a catalog and liked the pretty distributor cap.....

Here is my answer to it.....I have now install a D.U.I HEI distributor that was custom made for the engine and car....the reason I changed from the MSD6AL and accompanying distributor and wiring....is to cut down on the electrical draw while racing...hell I could only get three runs down track with out recharging....now I have put the alternator back on and cut down with the excess box and coil...and have gone back to an igniton and wiring that is compatable with the wiring harness on the car....hell maybe I'm just blowing smoke up my own dress but....running this weekend will let you know how it did..... [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:46 pm 

u ran without an alternator??

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:49 pm 

yea most drag racers dont use anything that will take away power...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:53 pm 

:-k :-k ok???

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:23 pm 

I ran a magneto for years simply because they always work, put out the longest spark duration of all ignitions and to be differant. I hate bells and whistles, have no use for them.

When I built the 511 cid BBC for my 64 I finally broke down and bought a MSD Dist. and 6A box due to them allowing the engine to start easier and idle crisper, and then I bought a timing retard since I ran the timing locked at 43* but I never got a chance to use it

I still have the Mag and bought a 6AL box but have no use right now for either ... other than using the mag on my run stand.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:26 pm 

just a stock HEI dist how high can you turn the till they brake down?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:34 pm 

Avey wrote:

....a stock HEI is good til around 5500 or so maybe 6000 at the most...my next choice is to go to a magneto like Duane had.....just trying things right now to see if the draw on the system goes away...think about it fuel pump, ignition, water pump, cooling fans....there is a lot of draw on just the batteries..... :-k :-k :-k

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:43 pm 

radicalz wrote:
Avey wrote:

....a stock HEI is good til around 5500 or so maybe 6000 at the most...my next choice is to go to a magneto like Duane had.....just trying things right now to see if the draw on the system goes away...think about it fuel pump, ignition, water pump, cooling fans....there is a lot of draw on just the batteries..... :-k :-k :-k

James .... dont bother with the magneto unless you get into a mixture or high enough cylinder pressure that a MSD wont fire it. On a NA gas engine there is absolutly nothing to gain by using a mag and it will start easier and idle crisper with ANY other ignition.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:48 pm 

doesnt a mag take more to turn than a regular msd are something of that sort?Avery

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:48 pm 

DCarr wrote:
radicalz wrote:
Avey wrote:

James .... dont bother with the magneto unless you get into a mixture or high enough cylinder pressure that a MSD wont fire it. On a NA gas engine there is absolutly nothing to gain by using a mag and it will start easier and idle crisper with ANY other ignition.

....yeah I know but it was just a thought...may have to try that mixture...a little nitro does an engine good....nah maybe just stick to Racing gas...will see how this HEI does from Performance Distributors in Memphis... never tried an HEI before... 8-[

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:07 pm 

i ran a 6al for about three years with no problem then it went out one nite at the track up graded to a 7al2 three years ago but the car never ran any better than it did with the 6al well hell 6 sparks or 7 just how much could it help anyway but if something brakes someone will have a spare at the track just about every body runs msd stuff but thats the only reason i run msd parts if you run holley or crane keep plenty of spares cause no one at the track will have parts to help you out

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:10 am 

Avery wrote:
doesnt a mag take more to turn than a regular msd are something of that sort?Avery

Yes they do take a little more power to turn them but it is negligable as over at Don Zig Magneto's they test them with a 1 HP electric motor.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:34 pm 

DCarr wrote:
Avery wrote:

Yes they do take a little more power to turn them but it is negligable as over at Don Zig Magneto's they test them with a 1 HP electric motor.

....see I new I could wake ya'll up here...and get things going...so keep it up guys....you guys rock....Ron i do have a couple of spare HEI coils from D.U.I. and some extra rotor and module parts....just in case of emergency....man I sound like Foghorn Leghorn...counting my feathers...hahahaha..... :-k :-k

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:00 pm 

I run a 7al2 and don't they only require very little volts to run like 9volts or something like that

Mitch

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:48 pm 

ron owens wrote:
i ran a 6al for about three years with no problem then it went out one nite at the track up graded to a 7al2 three years ago but the car never ran any better than it did with the 6al well hell 6 sparks or 7 just how much could it help anyway but if something brakes someone will have a spare at the track just about every body runs msd stuff but thats the only reason i run msd parts if you run holley or crane keep plenty of spares cause no one at the track will have parts to help you out

Ditto;
Mine did the same thing.
Swapped 6al and blaster coil to a 7al2 with an hvc coil same et.

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics