Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: NEVER ASSUME!
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

Well, after tearing the harness apart I found out that the circuit in question WAS NOT FUSED!!!??? The car has a 6 fuse block mounted on the firewall and I was "assuming" that the original builder had fused all the circuits. NOT SO! So there's good news and bad news.

Good news is that it could have been alot worse.

Bad news is that it was bad enough!

I was more concerned about the wire run inside the harness than what was in the open but as it turns out, the stuff inside the harness suffered less damage than what was outside the harness? I guess wire inside the harness all wrapped together helps disapate the heat whereas the stuff that isn't bundled just smokes and fries itself. This was the main ignition circuit and what kept it from completely melting everything was that I had enough sense to turn off the ignition switch as soon as I saw smoke. Had I of left that switch on, it might have burnt up everything!

Annywho, I got all the "bad stuff" pulled out and I'm getting ready to pull some new stuff in only this time it WILL have a fuse! \:D/

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: NEVER ASSUME!
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:33 pm 

BUNDLED WIRES HEAT MORE THAN SINGLE WIRES IN OPEN AIR! CHECK ALL CONNECTIONS AND CRIMP CONNECTIONS. HEAT WILL START FROM THE LOOSE CONN. AND WORK BACK. GOOD HUNTING! :-k

R&R Cycle, Performance Parts and Service
for Harley Davidson Motorcycles.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

SX10 wrote:
BUNDLED WIRES HEAT MORE THAN SINGLE WIRES IN OPEN AIR!

Yeah Bubba but that's under "normal" operating conditions though. That doesn't take into account that a grounded hot wire is passing all the current that it can and in the process is melting the insulation off. ALL the wire that was outside the harness was REALLY horked up, as in a good part of the insulation was burnt completely off. The stuff inside the harness could have been used like it was but since I had to pull it out to see that I just replaced it.

Ennywho, we got a 15 amp fused ignition circuit now and everything is back together and waiting for another test and tune at The Bridge Friday with Barry's blocks.....again. ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:39 pm 

Ken, what kind of wire are you using? FWIW, The builder of my car used THHN wire. I couldn't get out of him if that was the wire supplied by AutoRod (the switch panel maker) or not. Terminal Supply in Troy, Michigan sells this in a zillion different colors also. I had to add some additional wires and the stuff pulled through the frame rail real nice.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

nomad wrote:
Ken, what kind of wire are you using?

I used the kind of wire the Advance Auto Parts store here sells. I guess most any of it will work as long as you FUSE the circuit for the wire size and circuit load.

Ennywho, that problem was fixed a couple of weeks ago. Now I just need to find a race track that works.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:22 pm 

nomad wrote:
Ken, what kind of wire are you using? FWIW, The builder of my car used THHN wire. I couldn't get out of him if that was the wire supplied by AutoRod (the switch panel maker) or not. Terminal Supply in Troy, Michigan sells this in a zillion different colors also. I had to add some additional wires and the stuff pulled through the frame rail real nice.

THHN wire is common for industrial applications. Temp and voltage ratiings of the insulation would be much higher than needed for automotive. It has a harder, more like plastic, insulation and made of larger strands. Automotive wire generally has a more rubbery insulation and finer wire strands for a more flexible wire.

Rick

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:12 pm 

Pretty much what I thought too, rick. I'd have used something different. The wire is a little stiff. It's also got a clear plastic overlay on it, too. However, it's a well built car built by guys who knew what they're doing. The quality of the wire job is top notch, though.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:29 pm 

All of the wiring additions I have done to the Vega over the last 10 years have been done with THHN with zero failures,also not stated THHN is gasoline and oil resistant,and the harder outside coating makes it stand up to abrasion better IMO.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:17 am 

TXL wire here :-$

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics