Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: Fried delay box
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:55 pm 

Well, it seems my luck isn't the best with the car this year. First was the chassis cert issues, then the carb, now it's the delay box. Tonight, I was checking to see if some changes I made to the carb would make it better by trying to come up on the trans brake. Well, as luck would have it, I hit the button, start giving it throttle, and I hear a pop, see smoke coming out of the box, and the lights go nuts. So I kill the car and the battery, pull the box out of the dash, and take the cover off...........Total loss. Entire circuit board is fried. Not sure why it did it, but all I know now is that I need a new box. So, what box do you guys recommend, and why? What are you running now, and if you could change, what would you change too and why? Or would you change at all? Looking for any input you have on this guys. If you're a dealer, please pm me with prices.

Thanks guys!

Mark

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Post subject: Re: Fried delay box
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:14 pm 
Site Admin

I've owned two Dedenbears, one Mega450, one I can't remember the name of and I now have a K&R Pro Kube and LOVE IT. I won't ever have anything else but a K&R!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:02 am 

Had the same thing happen to me some time ago on the starting line in the 4th round ](*,) ...POP!!!!!! After checking things out it was the TB solenoid...

I have had nothing but Dedenbear delay boxes and most of the reason is there customer service....

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:03 am 

Barry is correct, the trans solenoid shorted first. Thats why every box MFG recommends using a fuse inline to the solenoid.
So, now you need a new solenoid, fuse holder & delay box ](*,)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:49 am 

K&R here too, never any issues with the Pro Cubes. Easy to use and don't take up much space. What brand was the box you fried and do you have a picture of the damage? May look worse than it is.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:56 am 

My box was an older Dedenbear SCC-1. Worked pretty good, up until it got fried. I'll try to get a pic up later, but the circuit board is toast. I was thinking of getting a Dedenbear Lightning this time around, as the smaller of the two models they have will fit right in the cutout I already have in the dash. I'm still looking at all my options though, as fit isn't a big issue. I can make the opening I have fit whatever I want to put in there. I just want to make sure that when I spend the money I'm getting the best value for my dollar, as things are a bit tight for me right now. I just need something that is easy to operate and reliable. No older thumbwheel kind though, as I couldn't adjust it with gloves on if I needed too..........

Thanks!
Mark

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

Mark that K&R box has little toggle switches for changing delay/dialin stuff that wouldl work well with gloves. That and they're illuminated in a pale blue so they're easy to see at night, but not too bright so it's not a distraction.

But whatever you buy, make sure you give our member vendors a shot at the sale before you go to Jegs or Summit, etc. ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:12 pm 

I bought my K&R from Ron Owens and I'm very pleased with the box and the deal, Ron is a pleasure to do business with.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:40 pm 

Coloradoracer wrote:
My box was an older Dedenbear SCC-1. Worked pretty good, up until it got fried. I'll try to get a pic up later, but the circuit board is toast. I was thinking of getting a Dedenbear Lightning this time around, as the smaller of the two models they have will fit right in the cutout I already have in the dash. I'm still looking at all my options though, as fit isn't a big issue. I can make the opening I have fit whatever I want to put in there. I just want to make sure that when I spend the money I'm getting the best value for my dollar, as things are a bit tight for me right now. I just need something that is easy to operate and reliable. No older thumbwheel kind though, as I couldn't adjust it with gloves on if I needed too..........

Thanks!
Mark

Mark call dedenbear.

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:50 am 

I've used them all Mega Series is tops in my book, much bigger buttons and screen to see they have many different boxes depending on your needs.

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:32 am 

Here's the pic of the circuit board. I killed it good!!! [-(

I hope the pic isn't too big!!! Still learning how to post them!!!

Mark

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:19 pm 

Might be worth sending back for repair, even if they have to replace the board it still may be cheaper than new. Can't hurt to call. From the looks of where it is it appears either the brake solenoid shorted or wiring shorted, causing the main power transistors to fry. =P~

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:46 pm 

I'm gonna call them tomorrow and see what they say. Won't ship it until next week though, as I have a car show this weekend at my buddy's bar. Last one for the season, and since I can't race this year, might as well. Next year though, for sure. Still thinking about a new box though, just have to look at all my options.

Thanks guys,
Mark

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics