Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: RED TOP OPTIMA
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:39 pm 

OK maybe I'm starting to lose it...the problem...The car has been sitting over winter with battery hooked up...so dead battery...a Delco 74 series...good battery ben in 7 years...jumped with battery charger car started and ran...good...battery not holding charge...jumped again 2 days later with battery charge got started after couple of tries....just got engine off idle then engine quit...charger still on jump....thought time to replace battery...cool get Optima Red Top from Jegs...replace battery turn key dash lights lit up for a second then nothing...ck battery voltage 9 volts....hahaha new battery...on charger now "Battery Tender" low voltage charge...not the big charger...I think I might have smoked the starter jumping it with the jump cycle on the big charger...will know tomorrow...when go to start after new battery charges...any thoughts cked all connections...all good and clean.... [-( [-( [-(

Post subject: Re: RED TOP OPTIMA
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

So you bought an Optima? I take it you didn't read this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5828

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:38 pm 

Well I'll jump in, I've heard others have issues, but I ran a single red top from about 1995 until 2003, put it in my Bonneville cause it needed one and bought two new for my dragster. It ran until 2004 when my stepdaughter totaled it (after we sold the car to her). Still going at 9 years isn't too shabby. And it wad dead many times, came right back up. The 2 in my dragster were traded with the two small red tops in my diesel Suburban before I sold the old dragster, they run fine still. I have two yellow tops in my motorhome, and two blue's in my new dragster. Any battery can have issues, and I have heard others that have had issues but I guess I have been lucky.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:32 am 

jmarkaudio wrote:
Well I'll jump in, I've heard others have issues, but I ran a single red top from about 1995 until 2003, put it in my Bonneville cause it needed one and bought two new for my dragster. It ran until 2004 when my stepdaughter totaled it (after we sold the car to her). Still going at 9 years isn't too shabby. And it wad dead many times, came right back up. The 2 in my dragster were traded with the two small red tops in my diesel Suburban before I sold the old dragster, they run fine still. I have two yellow tops in my motorhome, and two blue's in my new dragster. Any battery can have issues, and I have heard others that have had issues but I guess I have been lucky.

I have also had good luck with the red-tops. They seem to run forever for me. My first one was in my Camaro for 5 years and I "thought" it must be getting old so I bought a a yellow top since I didn't run an alt at the time. After a couple yrs the starter was going bad and I wasn't sure if it was the yellow-top or starter and the red-top was still laying around (not charged or touched for at least 2 yrs) I checked voltage and seemed ok so I stuck it in the Camaro and it fired right up. The starter was still dragging, but it cranked it over good with good voltage under load.

The roadster has one in it now and I put in a 75 amp EC alt over the Winter. Not enough time to tell how it will do.

Optima may have some QC issues??? People who have used the older ones (before 2000) seemed to have good luck. I've heard more problems recently.

Rick

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:48 am 
Site Admin

Yeah Rick you may be right in that it's a QC thingie that didn't show up in the early batteries. My last dragster had two red tops in it when I got it that were still in it when I sold it. I think they were the original batteries from when the car was built and it was a 1997 year model.

Only thing I know about them now though is what was posted in that thread link I posted here, which didn't speak very highly of them I might add.

Speaking of which, my Camaro has a regular group 24 700CCA Duralast that was in the car when I bought it in January of 06? O:) Knock on wood, hey! ;-)

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:16 am 

Same here red top since 2003 no issues. Jake has one in his truck for about 4 years. It does get you to wondering as with most parts the standard may have changed since the ones we have bought. Some places improve others get worse.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:56 pm 

I think the optimas get a bad rap because people don't charge them properly. It should read 12.8 volts when it is fully charged. I think alot of warranty deals are a result of poor charging with them. My first optima was given to me because it was suppositly bad. I put a good charge on it, it worked for 7 years in my racecar killing it dead many times. I am on my second optima now. Alot of the battery tenders will not charge those batteries properly. I used to have a manual charger and I would keep an eye on it. I recently purchased one of the schumacher charger, and that thing takes it to 12.8 volts and maintains it. Once you get the good charge on there, it is hard to kill them.

Also if your alternator is not keeping up with the electrical load at idle, It will not keep your battery charged. An undersized alternator will only really be charging going down the track which is where you don't want it. That is why I chose the 105 amp cs130 style alternator. It puts out about 50 amps at idle. I made back to back passes, with and without the alternator and it ran the same. When the battery started to go bac and wouldn't maintain the charge, car slowed .05 and voltage was bearly above 13 volts. If your voltage doesn't stay 14 volts or higher at idle, the charging system is not operating efficently. Mine stays at 14.3 with everything on at idle.

Good luck

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:39 am 

Also if your alternator is not keeping up with the electrical load at idle, It will not keep your battery charged. An undersized alternator will only really be charging going down the track which is where you don't want it. That is why I chose the 105 amp cs130 style alternator. It puts out about 50 amps at idle. I made back to back passes, with and without the alternator and it ran the same. When the battery started to go bac and wouldn't maintain the charge, car slowed .05 and voltage was bearly above 13 volts. If your voltage doesn't stay 14 volts or higher at idle, the charging system is not operating efficently. Mine stays at 14.3 with everything on at idle.

Good luck[/quote]

I think that is what has been my problem for a wile now!!! I had my battery (red top) checked twice and it's above the load rating for what it's rated for so Im in the process of hooking up the cs130 alt that everybody is using now a days and it's rated at 105amps....Hope it works =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:29 am 

That is the same alternator that I have, make sure you have a 2 to 1 ratio on the drive pulleys. That alternator needs about 2000 alternator rpm to make 50 amps. Are you planning on sticking with the 3 wire setup? I get my alternator from Autozone. Has a lifetime warranty.

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:46 am 

Using it as an 2 wire with the small wire to a resistor....Have a 5 1/4 crank pulley and a 2" alt pulley.....

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:48 am 

Your not using the voltage sense wire?

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:59 am 

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> ...Yep Ken I did it...I bought an Optima...who knew.... [-( ...silly me....now that I bought it did not want to screw it up by frying it on a big charger...so also got Battery Tender JR...29.95 thru Jegs...that was a good investment....talked to both Jeg's and Battery Tender Tech Lines...both asked if I had put on big charger yet...said was about to...both said use the battery tender jr...charges at slower rate...1 amp or less for 24 hours....the engine fired on third crank.....so just an update...if you do purchase an Optima Battery make sure you check the terminal voltage of the battery when get it out of the box....if you have to charge the battery make sure you use a charger that has a setting of max 1 amp and charge for 24 hours...preferably an automatic charger...like a Battery Tender....was not a believer in the "Battery Tender"...but that 29.95 that I said cant pass up just saved me 200.00 for another battery.... \:D/ \:D/ ....

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:11 am 

well yes one wire to ign other to bulk head..........And the large wire to sol by batt.

I know that's 3 wires.......Iwas not counting the big wire on the back ... ](*,)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:28 pm 

My 2 yellow tops are 5 years old, they get the s#@$ charged out of them, I don't use an alternator.
I have the battery tender on my winch battery in the trailor and it is always hot, it charges when the trailer is plugged in (at the track only).

The optimas are so damn high, I don't think I will get another set just for that reason.

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:28 pm 

Below is a link to the charging recommendations from optima.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/_media/d ... 34_34R.pdf

Gotcha beratta, I bet you will be really happy with the cs130, just make sure you use the resister on the ignition wire to the alternator.

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics