Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: wire guy ????
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:14 pm 

All this has been checked with a avr test equipment... My alt putout 48 amps...Now with everything on total amp draw is 43 amps with the trans brake applied... with out the TB applied there is a 33 amp draw...Now I put a charger on the battery after every round so with the fans running draw from the battery is minimal.....Well after the 2nd round the battery was almost dead and won't start the car..............The battery is only 2yrs old red top optima..i have used these battery before and never had any problems.....Im going to get it checked...What do you think???

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject: Re: wire guy ????
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:33 pm 

I would charge and load test the battery. Remove the surface charge by doing a short load test and let it stand for at least 20 minutes. I have seen batteries fail all of a sudden but it sounds like for the load you have you might not have enough alternator.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:36 pm 

So you think a amp draw of 33 amps and an alternator putting out 48 amps won't cut it????

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:44 pm 

My first thought is battery...I have had an Autozone Gold last for 5 seasons with no alternator...replaced it and the new one lasted 1 season. We tried Optima's a long time ago and never had any luck with them, BUT it was a long time ago. I just switch to Powermaster 16v Lightweight with no alternator in my dragster...still using an Autozone Gold with an alternator in my door car. My second thought, which doesn't explain what you are seeing, is the alternator is a little small. Not sure of the ignition system you are using, but what is the amp draw at RPM? Even if your total amp draw is equal to your alternator out put, you still are charging between rounds so...still leads me to believe a battery is dying!

With all that said...check all wiring...for loose connections, chafed areas, corrosion, and Grounds grounds grounds.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:20 pm 

Beretta wrote:
So you think a amp draw of 33 amps and an alternator putting out 48 amps won't cut it????

The math on that tells me you're only charging the battery 15 amps while you're driving around the pits and making a pass. The starter draws at least a couple of hundred for a few seconds each time you start it and it's not like you're driving it on long enough trips to charge it back up at a low rate. If you pull through the staging lanes like most tracks you probably start it at least 3 times while pulling through the lanes and being on gas you probably run the fan & pump some with the motor off. Depending on how you wired that relay for the alternator it probably draws a couple of amps any time the battery is on. The data logger does too.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:18 pm 

I think you need more alternator. I also agree with the charge and load test on the battery. I've run Optima's for years and have never had any issues with them, although there are other really good batteries out there as well. I'm actually looking into the Odessey (sp?) and Braille batteries right now, just to shed some weight and have faster recharge times. My last car I had a 90 amp alternator, but I still had to recharge occasionally because of short run times and lots of starts and stops. Too much of that will kill any battery eventually.

Mark

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:32 pm 

2 things, I used to run the smaller alt 50 amp shogun and it keeps up while running but needs charged between rounds always. Switch to a 100amp eastcoast and love it. 2nd thing toss the Optima in the trash.. worst battery I've ever used. I run Napa Orbitals only now great battery

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

I got an 80 amp alternator on the camaro and only one regular group 24 battery and NEVER have problems with not starting. I'm with with the others on the battery deal. You ran this same setup last season without any of these problems, didn't ya?

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:37 pm 

I had 3 Optima's go bad on me, and one cost me a 1st round showing at Maple Grove in 2004 and I was just crushed =P~ I just charged it in the pits for about 45 minutes, started the car, drove to the lanes and it sat for another 30 minutes, and then click, click!!!!! so I tossed all three of them back to Murray's and they said, yep there all bad, and that they had been having a problem with them for a while, so I got another battery from 1000 cca Murray's , and run an 80 amp 1 wire internal reg. alt and it works perfectly, and my volt gauge always shows it is charging when I rev the engine a little bit, but I also put a fast charge on it between rounds too when cooling it down and never had a problem since. I would defenitly check all your wires Barry for rub thru's and loose connections, just check every wire end, and re-clean all the grounds you have, and I also would say yes to a larger output alt., never hurts to have the extra capacity and that MSD draws a lot for sure and seems to always want 14+volts to really kick it into hi gear, jmo though. Good luck with it...

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:07 pm 

Barry when i worked for advance auto parts we had a lot of problems with the red top. I had to warranty a lot of them.. I now use the napa gold with out any problems......... Kenny

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics