Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: MSD Start retard box
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:16 pm 

OK I just put a Start retard box on my Puling truck, to help with the starting with a locked out dissy.

Now after reading the instruction it say I can retard the timing with pills provided after 4000 Rpm's if I hook up a switch to the gray wire.

OK Guys I never played around with pulling timing out of my truck going down the track. My Truck is usally at 8000 Rpm's from the 100' mark till the 300' mark, My question here is what will pulling timing out of my motor @ 8000 RPM's do?

Dan

Post subject: Re: MSD Start retard box
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:30 pm 

I don't think it will help you at all as there is a constant/steady load on your truck during the hole run...Unlike a drag car where the load gets less after the gear change.......

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:02 am 
Site Admin

With your setup it would be difficult to tell if there was an advantage or not since traction is somewhat questionable and the track changes so much during the day. I'd save that test for the next time the engine is on the pump.

I pull 4* out of my SBC in high gear but I don't have any exact data to say it works better or not. Reason I do that is to reduce the chance of detonation, which I had a problem with early on.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:04 am 

Ken0069 wrote:
With your setup it would be difficult to tell if there was an advantage or not since traction is somewhat questionable and the track changes so much during the day. I'd save that test for the next time the engine is on the pump.

I pull 4* out of my SBC in high gear but I don't have any exact data to say it works better or not. Reason I do that is to reduce the chance of detonation, which I had a problem with early on.

Ken do you here the motor change pitch when it comes on???

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:07 am 
Site Admin

No Barry. It does that at the gear change so there's more things happening than just the timing retard. I also pull 15* out at the "hit" and it's ramped back in over 1 second. Crank trigger timing set at 32*.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:22 pm 

Now I am no Einstein with electronics, but I have a starter saver on my elky, and a crank trigger, and a locket out dist., and the only reason I use my starter saver box is during cranking and it will pull 10 degrees from the ign. timing while cranking until my engine hits 500 rpm's or more, then back to full timing. in my case, I have cut the blue wire and it gives me 25 deg. of timing pulled out doing the same thing, up to 500 rpm's it goes into a solid mode and the engine has full timing again.

I would say in your case, if you pulled any timing out at 4000 rpm's, it would give you some more power on the other end of the 300' mark!!!! right? then when it sees below 4000 rpm's it goes back to your full timing.

Like retarding a cam, it moves the power around on your power band, and CORRECT ME GUYS IF I AM WRONG AS I GET THIS MIXED UP WITH THIS SOMETIMES, :- If you retard the cam timing, your get more power at higher rpm's, and visa versa if you advance the cam, it gives you more power early on, is that right guys???? :-k :-k :-k it worked for my elky I know that. I retarded my cam 2 degrees and it took the power higher and fatther down track fo rme where I wanted it not on the hit with my small tire. Let me know if this sounds right. And if it works, you should be able to pull a little farther out.

John

TRUKPULR wrote:
OK I just put a Start retard box on my Puling truck, to help with the starting with a locked out dissy.

Now after reading the instruction it say I can retard the timing with pills provided after 4000 Rpm's if I hook up a switch to the gray wire.

OK Guys I never played around with pulling timing out of my truck going down the track. My Truck is usally at 8000 Rpm's from the 100' mark till the 300' mark, My question here is what will pulling timing out of my motor @ 8000 RPM's do?

Dan

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:57 pm 

I pull 5* out at 6000 rpm in high gear. I don't have any proof that it helps other that several people I talked to say it is easier on the motor at high rpm's and could make more power. I can't tell it when it is pulled out either!

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics