Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: LINE LOCK PROB.
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:15 am 

I got my line lock wired up and it wont work. Its a SUMMIT brand solenoid and its brand new. I've got 12 volts at the solenoid when activated and it doesnt do anything. I think its just bad. Does anyone else have any input in case I'm missing something simple. ](*,) ](*,)

Post subject: Re: LINE LOCK PROB.
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:01 am 

When you say it doesn't do anything, does it "click" when voltage is applied to it? Or do you mean it doesn't hold line pressure? Explain more for a better answer. [-(

Ur gonna get passed!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:49 am 

Do you have a good ground????, it may show 12 volts going to it, but, that ground can be the difference :-k scrape the surface of your ground area to metal and try it again, and how do you have the button wired???

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:43 pm 

It doesnt click, hold pressure, i mean nothing. I thought about the ground and grounded it to everything just to make sure and still got nothing.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:45 pm 

I forgot, I have 12v ignition source going to the switch then from switch to line lock.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

Get yourself a cheap volt ohm meter if you don't already have one and check to see if the coil is open. If it is then it's not going to work, period. If you get resistence then start looking for something else but if you ohm it and it's open, then it's toast!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:41 pm 

I'll try that Ken, hevent thought of that yet. It just bothers the heck out of me because the thing is BRAND NEW. Oh well i'm gonna go downtown for MARDI GRAS now, that'll get my mind off of it for awhile. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:20 pm 
Site Admin

dun2run wrote:
Oh well i'm gonna go downtown for MARDI GRAS now, that'll get my mind off of it for awhile. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Image [-o< Image

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:33 pm 

What he said [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< =; we just got another 6 inches of snow yesterday O:)

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:35 pm 

I put the meter on the solenoid and got 7.5 ohms across it. Anybody have a clue?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:51 pm 

dun2run wrote:
I put the meter on the solenoid and got 7.5 ohms across it. Anybody have a clue?

That sounds like a reasonable resistance for that.

I don't think the line-locks normally make any noise when they activate, or at least not one you can hear without being right on top of the solenoid with your ear. . . hey , that's an idea try putting your ear up to it when it is activated.

Did you bleed the brakes after installing it? Is it in the right line? You could remove it and hook air to it and test it with compressed air.

One last thing, forgive me for asking the basics, since I don't know you or how experienced you are. I assume you understand how a line-lock should work. It only holds pressure. You pump your brakes up, hold them tight, push line lock button, release brake and it should hold the front brakes until the line-lock button is released.

Rick

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:36 pm 

Dont worry I'll take all the help I can get. This is the first time I've installed a line lock so it could be something simple like that. Im positive the lines are in the right ports, at least goin by the instructions. Im gonna look into it some more and I'll let you know.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:06 pm 

This is one of the simplest parts to put on a car, real simple, pull 12 volts from somewhere with the key on if you have a key ignition, now, turn the key off, run that 12 volts to one of the button wires, now connect the other wire to a fuse wire if it was provided with one, the other wire from the fuse from the button down to the solenoid RED wire if it has one, if not and it has both black, either one will work, connect to the one of the wires, now ground the other wire at the solenoid to metal somewhere, turn your key on and push the button down and if it is quiet in the garage, you can't miss the sound of the solenoid activating, simple as that, and you do not need fluid in the solenoid at all for it to work, if you have it wired up any other way, make sure you have 12 volts going into one of the wires at the solenoid when you push the button. Let us know if this is how you wired it up?????

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:06 pm 

Theres NO DOUBT its wired up right. I even took the thing off the truck and hooked the wires directly to the battery and once again (surprise, surprise) nothing. Anyway, I called Summit and told them the problem, and everything I did to test it and the guy said there is a problem with the magnet. (there replacing it with a new one). So maybe I was right about it just being "bad"?? Who knows. Thanks for all the help guys \:D/ hopefully this thing will be goin before the PINKS crew comes to Mobile in March.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:34 am 

dun2run wrote:
Theres NO DOUBT its wired up right. I even took the thing off the truck and hooked the wires directly to the battery and once again (surprise, surprise) nothing. Anyway, I called Summit and told them the problem, and everything I did to test it and the guy said there is a problem with the magnet. (there replacing it with a new one). So maybe I was right about it just being "bad"?? Who knows. Thanks for all the help guys \:D/ hopefully this thing will be goin before the PINKS crew comes to Mobile in March.

Good luck on the PINKS show and be ready for a long weekend =;

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics