Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: 2 BATTERY'S, WIRING HELP
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:28 am 

Ok guys, here is what I am thinking of doing, and it may sound nuts, but then again, may be a good idea as Nascar seems to have this redundentcy thing down pat along with NASA =;

I want to run a 2nd battery for some more rear weight, and a better balance as well, but my main reason is to have one battery for my MSD alone!, and use the other, or primary battery as the power for cranking, and all the accessories, anybody else do this? Now, another question is, can I run 2 wires(from my single wire alternator), one for each battery or will that not be enough to charge them both split up this way? I have a 105 amp alt. also btw. Does this sound like it will work, or will it be too much draw on my alt.????? 12 volt system also ;-)

Yes, I could just tie them in together and run them in series, but I wanted to have seperate systems so if I had a problem, either one or the other battery would be crapping out or just dead!, just seemed to be a little troubleshooting hookup in a way to me, so what do you guys think? am I wired wrong in my head???? =;

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:00 pm 

Elkyman wrote:
Ok guys, here is what I am thinking of doing, and it may sound nuts, but then again, may be a good idea as Nascar seems to have this redundentcy thing down pat along with NASA =;

I want to run a 2nd battery for some more rear weight, and a better balance as well, but my main reason is to have one battery for my MSD alone!, and use the other, or primary battery as the power for cranking, and all the accessories, anybody else do this? Now, another question is, can I run 2 wires(from my single wire alternator), one for each battery or will that not be enough to charge them both split up this way? I have a 105 amp alt. also btw. Does this sound like it will work, or will it be too much draw on my alt.????? 12 volt system also ;-)

Yes, I could just tie them in together and run them in series, but I wanted to have seperate systems so if I had a problem, either one or the other battery would be crapping out or just dead!, just seemed to be a little troubleshooting hookup in a way to me, so what do you guys think? am I wired wrong in my head???? =;

If you wire both batteries to the same alt, you have just wired the batteries together and will share either load (MSD or starter) even if the wire size won't support it. Don't do it this way. If you are going to tie them together, do it with cables at the batteries.

Another thing you say "wire them up and run them in series" is incorrect, if the plus posts are tied together and the neg posts are both grd'd then they are in parallel. If they are in series the voltage is added and you'd get 24V. O:)

With an alt I don't see any reason to separate the batteries. If you want to run two batteries, parallel them at the batteries and they both help cranking, the alt will charge both and after starting the MSD will be fed by both. Don't make it too complicated.

Rick

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:17 pm 

Rick360 wrote:
Elkyman wrote:

If you wire both batteries to the same alt, you have just wired the batteries together and will share either load (MSD or starter) even if the wire size won't support it. Don't do it this way. If you are going to tie them together, do it with cables at the batteries. Will do, thanks =D>

Another thing you say "wire them up and run them in series" is incorrect, if the plus posts are tied together and the neg posts are both grd'd then they are in parallel. If they are in series the voltage is added and you'd get 24V. O:) See, this is why I sucked in elctrical class #-o I got this messed up and yes parallel is what I meant, guess I got the series part from working on diesel trucks which many use this system. :-

With an alt I don't see any reason to separate the batteries. If you want to run two batteries, parallel them at the batteries and they both help cranking, the alt will charge both and after starting the MSD will be fed by both. Don't make it too complicated. Thanks Rick, sounds like a good plan then ;-)

Hope my kill switch has enough room to have two more eyelets added to them :-k

Rick

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics