Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: 1 wire alt. question.
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:36 pm 

With a 1-wire alternator am I supposed to run the wire all the way back to the battery or can I run it to the starter where the battery cable is connected? And what size wire should I use?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:44 pm 

just asked
http://motorsportsvillage.com/forum/vie ... 37&start=0

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:42 am 

I ran mine just to the starter solenoid where the battery wire is. Has weoked fine for the last 3 years or so. I used a wire about the size of a pencil. (lol).

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:52 am 

dun2run wrote:
With a 1-wire alternator am I supposed to run the wire all the way back to the battery or can I run it to the starter where the battery cable is connected? And what size wire should I use?

There are a lot of ways to do it. I've never liked any wires that don't go thru the main disconnect switch.

Ways to wire a 1-wire alternator.

1. Wire thru relays back to battery. Relays activated from small wire to the main disconnect switch. There are Relay wiring kits or just relays to do this. Relays need to be rated for the amps your alt puts out. Big alternators need BIG relays.

2. Use a 2-pole disconnect switch that has a separate lower current contact to power the ignition. The main alt wire can go to the starter or back to the disconnect switch. The extra contact in the disconnect switch is used to power the ignition circuit and will kill the ignition when the disconnect is turned off. Not a big selection of these switches, but a good idea. Extra contact could also be used to power the field on a 2-wire alt.

3. Dual disconnect switches that are mechanically connected. One for the alternator (cheap $20 one) and one HD switch for everything else.

4. Wire direct to battery. Risky IMO, but some do it this way.

There may be more, but these are the most common I can think of.

Rick

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:33 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, there was some discussion on this in another thread. I ran mine from the alternator to the battery side of the disconnect switch and as both Barry and Rich mentioned, there may be some "risk" associated with this method. However, mine is NOT run with any other wires and is isolated from anything flammable so in the unlikely event that it got grounded out, it would likely burn itself into and that would be the end of it. I do think it would be a bad idea to run that wire in a harness with other wires as that increases the fire hazard and it would hork up much more stuff.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:36 pm 

So if I did run it all the way back what size should I use? Its a 50 or 60 amp I cant remember.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:55 pm 

us7race wrote:
I ran mine just to the starter solenoid where the battery wire is. Has weoked fine for the last 3 years or so. I used a wire about the size of a pencil. (lol).

It will back feed and your switch on the rear won't work ](*,)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:00 pm 

dun2run wrote:
So if I did run it all the way back what size should I use? Its a 50 or 60 amp I cant remember.

A # 8 will be ok but I ran a #6 ........A #6 welding wire is the best as it has very thin wire and easy to bend and it has a real heavy though casing on it........Just think about a welding shop :-k ...There are arc welding wires all over the floor and guys are using a torch and everybody is stepping on them =; ....

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:34 am 

Back to Rick360, hooking up the alt. wire to the one of the terminals on the kill switch is NHRA required correct? and if they catch you with it to the battery, they will make you change it or not race and I am pretty sure it is in the rulebook, but don't quote me on this. I was told this by two different tech guys also, so be careful how you wire things and just think about the way the electricity works. Like mentioned again already, many ways to do it.

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:05 pm 

Elkyman wrote:
Back to Rick360, hooking up the alt. wire to the one of the terminals on the kill switch is NHRA required correct? and if they catch you with it to the battery, they will make you change it or not race and I am pretty sure it is in the rulebook, but don't quote me on this. I was told this by two different tech guys also, so be careful how you wire things and just think about the way the electricity works. Like mentioned again already, many ways to do it.

I think hooking the alt to the battery OR to the switch is against safety rules.

If it is hooked to the main disconnect switch, the car will continue to run when the disconnect is shut of, with the ignition being fed by the alt. Some tracks will check this.

If it is run to the battery, it should have relay(s) to disconnect it when the switch is turned off. Most tracks (at least around here) would not check this or even have people capable of checking this in the safety/tech inspection.

I am currently installing an alternator on my roadster and am using #3 (dual switches), but would have gone with #2 had I thought of it prior to mounting the second switch. The dual switch method will work best IMO, it is just more trouble to do.

Rick

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics