Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: lock out for transbrake
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:13 pm 

hey guys, is there anyway to lock out the transbrake in low gear(power glide) without a delay box? for example, a modified car that isn't allowed to run a box. or do you guys just not mount the buttons on the steering wheel.

is there like a time delay relay that you can get to lock out the power to the cylinoid?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:02 am 

anyone? anyone at all have any ideas?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:32 am 
Site Admin

Corey what exactly is it you want to do?

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:33 am 

There are certainly timers that could be wired to do this, but would they be allowed in a no electronics class? People would suspect it was a way to hide a delay box. Most tracks require a straight thru wire from switch to solenoid without other connections or devices, in the NO-E class.

Rick

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:33 am 

Rick, we can't even do as you say at my track. No buttons or wires the transbrake can not be used at all. I know at sikeston you can use the brake in No-E. =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:07 pm 

From the question you asked..I think you just want a way to WIRE your transbrake wire. All you need to do is ground 1 of the 2 wires to the trans or any body ground and the other goes to your button on 1 side with the other being 12V. So you puch the button and it engages the solenoid.
is this what you wanted?.. :-k :-$

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:58 pm 

The only timers I have heard of that block out power to the t/brake solinoid for XX amount of time are built into one sort of box or another and are used so the t/brake cant be activated again until a set amount of time has passed. I dont know of any seperate units.

Is that what your looking for, or are you trying to block the t/brake using a box so that you can run in a pure f/brake class ?

Ohh and Rick ,.,... your avatar is broken it just sits there, no place to put a .25 in or wind it up .. I been lookin

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:22 pm 

I think u hit it duane, all he wants to do is disarm it for footbrake class and not have to remove the box. =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:04 pm 

here's what i want to do... i'm building a no box car and trans brakes are allowed. i want to mount the button on the steering wheel, but want to be able to disarm it after the juice has been released from it. basically i want to lock it out after it has been released until it hits second gear. this way i don't hafta worry about an inexperieced driver or even myself from bumping it and locking the trans up when going down the track. i'm not looking to footbrake or anything like that. 2 steps are allowed and all other electronics.

it's the same as a lock out for the transbrake that is built into the delay box, but obviously i can't run that i the no box class...just an added saftey measure is all. can yall help me out?

i was thinking a timer that would be normally closed and then open after the button was released. this would not allow juice to activate the transbrake even if the button was hit again. if it was a 10 second delay then there would be no issues w/it being a delay box...

sorry i didn't make this clear enough. sorry for the confusion. =; thanks for the help.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:57 pm 

If you are running a powerglide without a Pro brake then you cannot engage the transbrake in High gear anyway..
Other than that I have never heard of any device doing what your asking..

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:38 pm 

you should be able to get a timer to do this quite easily, A local electronics store maybe able to help.

One thing to think about is a reset for the timer. I believe you can do that with a delay box, so maybe worthwhile finding a way of doing it.

would allow a reset of the TBrake timer if you should need to use it twice.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:50 pm 

us7race wrote:
If you are running a powerglide without a Pro brake then you cannot engage the transbrake in High gear anyway..
Other than that I have never heard of any device doing what your asking..

i want to lock it out in low gear. i think it outta be mandated for a saftey issue just like a neutral saftey switch. just incase the button gets bumped like if the car gets sideways outta the gate and you bump it while steering.

good idea sam, any ideas on what i need? relay? time delayed switch?i didn't know if i could run it through a relay and have an overide switch or what. :-k

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:59 pm 

A relay and a timer should be all you need,

I could tell you where to go or look over here in the uk but any local electronics store should be able to help Tandy ? RS electronics ? I dont know if you have these.. over there.

An over ride switch should be easy enough to install. I'd suggest a spring loaded switch that turns every thing off and turns it back on when you release. therefore resetting the whole thing back to start.

the relay depends on whether you would use one to activate the transbrake solenoid, if not you just need a timer.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:02 pm 

the thing that gets me is how to wire it so that it dosent delay the release of the transbreak. :-k it would hafta be in line w/the silnoid so that it would open the circit but .... hmm i just cornfused myself! help!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:29 pm 

You might give K & R a call or email at least. I looked quickly on their website and didnt see one .. here is some contact info
http://www.krperformance.com/index.cfm

321-267-2393
Fax 321-267-4333

e-mail ... krpe@mindspring.com

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics