Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:02 pm 

haha  =;

You must have an alternator because it's impossible to have 13.5 without one. :-$

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

Slowpoke wrote:
11 is what I was told by MSD

What is your system voltage when the engine is cranking?

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:19 pm 

Scott Smith wrote:
haha  =;

You must have an alternator because it's impossible to have 13.5 without one. :-$

Yep and won't run another bracket car without one... Ever put an amp meter on your car with everything  on including the transbrake???? You may be surprised to see what the AMP draw is O:) ..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:11 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Slowpoke wrote:
11 is what I was told by MSD

What is your system voltage when the engine is cranking?

Around 10.5,  they didn't say it wouldn't work below 11 volts, like in a no load situation at idle.  As the load goes up, I would think having the proper voltage would become more important.

Good luck tomorrow,

Donee

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

Tried to call you back tonight but you wouldn't answer!  Image  See how you do me! ;-)  We're testing tomorrow so I won't be home until late.

As engine RPM goes up, AMP draw on a MSD system goes up.  Volts can be anything  and you could still have an increased amp draw.  What I mean is that you could have say a 15 amp draw at 6 volts and you could also have the same amp draw at 12 volts.  Old point systems had a balast resistor in the 12 v circuit that reduced that voltage to somewhere between 6 to 9 volts at the points depending on what car you were working on.

I will call them next week to find out exactly how they control voltage within that system, and to see exactly how low it can go and still function correctly.  I know a lot of guys that don't run alternators and I'm sure a bunch of those have had battery voltage a good bit lower than 11 volts at times.  I'll post what they (MSD) tell me.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:56 am 

Quote:
Yep and won't run another bracket car without one... Ever put an amp meter on your car with everything  on including the transbrake???? You may be surprised to see what the AMP draw is d'oh! ..

How much horse power do you think that alternator uses? And how is it possible it uses it consistently?

I'm walking out the door to the Turkey Trots. See ya later! Image

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:29 am 

One time in the spring after we changed to a MSD 6al box. we tried starting it on a low battery. it was around 9 volts cranking. It would pop then die. put the charger on it then it fired right up.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

My battery voltage drops to 9.3 while the starter is engaged.  Checked it several times today and it was about the same each time.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:39 pm 

Scott Smith wrote:
Quote:
Yep and won't run another bracket car without one... Ever put an amp meter on your car with everything  on including the transbrake???? You may be surprised to see what the AMP draw is d'oh! ..

How much horse power do you think that alternator uses? And how is it possible it uses it consistently?

Here are the tickets from the last time out trying to get the shocks set up right and get rid of the tire spin/screech and some more down force down track. Looks constant to me even with the alternator on all the time and with the suspension not right, messed up 3 circuit carb and a cold track........So what do you think Scott????

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:05 am 

Scott Smith wrote:
Quote:

I've taking the belt of alt and put it back on and seen no difference other then voltage gauge.  I would think the alt would be more consistent then not having one, constant voltage to ign,delay box,transbrake would make things more consistent right ?

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:47 am 

Hammertime wrote:
I've taking the belt of alt and put it back on and seen no difference other then voltage gauge.  I would think the alt would be more consistent then not having one, constant voltage to ign,delay box,transbrake would make things more consistent right ?

My thoughts also...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:17 pm 

I put a switch on the field wire so Jake could turn off the Alt if he needed a couple of .01's when he ran index class. That way it could charge until he staged then turn it back on on the return road.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

WR169 wrote:
I put a switch on the field wire so Jake could turn off the Alt if he needed a couple of .01's when he ran index class. That way it could charge until he staged then turn it back on on the return road.

Steve I'm not sure this works on all alternators?  The switch that is!!  It doesn't work with mine and I have a 3 wire alternator also.  Once it starts charging, disconnecting the fields doesn't stop it as evidenced by my data logger.  No way to get 14.23 volts with the fields supposidly disconnected to make it NOT charge.   ;-)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:49 pm 

That could be Ken. I just run 2 wires. one from the battery and then the field wire I run from the kill switch to the switch panel then to the Alt. I don't run the 3rd wire for the idiot light.

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics