Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: Starter motor
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:14 pm 

Not sure if anyone can help here but it looks like I need a new starter or mounting plate to fit the KB olds block.

the bolts are wider spacing than my BBC tilton unit and the right side mounting on the block has a bulge in it (the block has 2 if not 3 different bolt patterns on the bellhousing) the bulge is to allow some metal round one of the other patterns of bolts. I think the distance to the bellhousing dowel to the starter mounting face is different also.

I'm keen to keep the starter on the right (passengerside) as the current electrics are all on that side and I have the oil pipes on the other.

Anyone know if one is made for the block or is that I have to make up a new mounting block.

I'd like to get it sorted before I assemble the engine as I may have to relieve the block to get it on, I don't really want to put a crank and flexplate in it yet as I have to clean it first (had to relieve the block to get it between the rails).

Any ideas??

Thanks

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:21 am 

I'd go with a custom mounting block and  hi torque Chevy starter, that way when or if it packs up you can easilly swap a borrowed or spare chevy one

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics