Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: Locked Out Timing
 Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:55 am 

OK so following on from "my car won't idle in gear saga"....more initial advance helped but the car still a bitch to drive at low speed needed constant squezzing of the pedal to keep it running otherwise it loads up and dies.

I'm gonna try looked out timing as a lot of people are recommending this for idle performance and to potentially cure the stumble I have going to WOT. I've played with shooters from35 to 42 with no effect, so I think it may be timing related.

With locked out timing, is there the danger that the engine will run hotter and low RPM ??

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:12 am 

If we are talking that roadster, lock it. Even when I had my Chevelle running low 12's/high 11's it ran best locked out. Only when running a smaller street cam did I need to have any advance in the distributor.

Post subject: Re: Locked Out Timing
 Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:26 am 

PSweeney wrote:
With locked out timing, is there the danger that the engine will run hotter and low RPM ??

No there isnt.

If its loading up at low speeds at runs fine WFO then its fuel delivery related.  ( unless its a magneto )

What RPM does it idle at ?

What RPM is the Hesatation at ... right off of idle or staging RPM ?

What CID and CR ?

How much timing are you running in it now ?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:37 am 

it's a Pro Billet 85551,

It idles in neutral at down to 1000 but will die when dropped in gear (glide), bump the idle up to 1900 in neutral and it'll idle in gear at 1000rpm for about 45 seconds before dying

It's a solid roller 468 pump gas motor 10-5-1 CR. I'm running 34 total with 16 initial.

Hesitation is just off idle, I've closed the throttle blades, drilled for bleeds into the air cleaner stud base to leak vacuum, had the idle screws in and out and nothing changes with the idle, it just dies.  I've changed the shooters from 35 up to 42's and again it still stumbles.  Last thing I haven't tried is locked out timing but my concern was it would build heat but if this doesn't happen then I'm gonna try it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:40 am 

Lock it out, it'll react better to the throttle and if it turns out you don't like it locked out, it sooo easy to put it back.

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics