Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: K&R Delay Box
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:55 am 
Site Admin

Well, since Uncle Sam is giving me a $600 tax rebate that they really can't afford to give I decided to spend it with my old friend Ron Owens for a K&N delay box with the starting line controller.  Since he had a couple of ppl back out on the buy in deal he offered, I just figgered I'd kinda help out since I wanted one anyway.  

Big Boyz toyz, hey!!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: K&R Delay Box
 Post Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:29 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Well, since Uncle Sam is giving me a $600 tax rebate that they really can't afford to give I decided to spend it with my old friend Ron Owens for a K&N delay box with the starting line controller.  Since he had a couple of ppl back out on the buy in deal he offered, I just figgered I'd kinda help out since I wanted one anyway.  

Big Boyz toyz, hey!!

Yea, I sprung for the Super Duty Switch Panel Kit. I want to make this wiring job as painless as possible. Uncle Sugar hasn't sweatened our bank account yet.

John :-k  =;  :-$

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

Anyone know if there is an adjustment in the timer that controlls when the engine goes WFO on a K&R with the Pro Start setup on it?  I've got every setting in there on dead nuts and it still goes off about a second before the brake releases?  I'd like to put a little more time on that function, say about 3 tenths.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:24 pm 

If it goes WFO before you let go of the button something aint right. How does it know when your going to let go of the button ESP?  :-$

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

Scott Smith wrote:
If it goes WFO before you let go of the button something aint right. How does it know when your going to let go of the button ESP?  :-$

NO, That isn't what it's doing!  I played with it tonight by simulating some starting line stuff.  Put a dial on my side, an opponent dial on the other side and checked where the throttle went WFO.  I want a little more time for the engine to come up to WFO!  Now it seems like it's only 1 second, ie, two lights.  Not sure that will do it for me and I'd like to have a little more time in there.  Something on the order of 1.3 seconds would work better since I'm usually on the gas with the first bulb (1.5sec).  

Since I can't find any info on how to change that one I'm going to assume it can't be done?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:50 am 

Ken call Kevin at K&R and ask him about what you want to do he's a nice guy and can tell you a lot more about that system .

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:54 am 

Ken,
How did you simulate it? With a practice tree?

Trust me it is only going to go wide open after your side starts down.
I'm not aware of any adjustment.

It's going to activate right after the first amber comes on on your side every time regardless of what the dial in is.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

Scott Smith wrote:
Ken,
How did you simulate it? With a practice tree?

Trust me it is only going to go wide open after your side starts down.
I'm not aware of any adjustment.

It's going to activate right after the first amber comes on on your side every time regardless of what the dial in is.

The "simulated" deal was without a practice tree.  Just sitting in the shop here.  I just put some time in both sides to see how far ahead of the "T" brake solenoid release the air cylinder activation was.

And yes, I do understand that it won't activate the throttle until some time AFTER I release the button but if it activates "right after the first amber comes on" as you put it, and I'm on a cross talk tree, then that wouldn't be any better than a regular cross over box.   ;-)  

But yes, I do understand how it works.  It seems to count backwards from the T brake release to activate the air cylinder solenoid and that is a constant amount of time.  Just don't understand why there isn't a timer adjustment on that function is all.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:38 pm 

Quote:
I do understand that it won't activate the throttle until some time AFTER I release the button but if it activates "right after the first amber comes on" as you put it, and I'm on a cross talk tree, then that wouldn't be any better than a regular cross over box.   Wink

If your on a 5.50 dial and your opponent is on a 6.50 dial then your crosstalk bulb will light one second early and you will release the button one second early. The autostart will add 1 second to the activation of the air cylinder.

It will still pull the throttle wide open at the same time it would if you were on your tree leaving first.

From the time your brain sees the amber, reacts, and to the time your late is only 1.5 seconds. Take out the time it takes the car to clear the beam and your down to about 1.08 to 1.1 seconds. What time is left to adjust delaying the activation of the throttle going wide open, and the engine getting clean up on the chip?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

Ken, my Dedenbear CC3 has the function you're describing.  You can set any time you want to go WFO between button release and tbrake release.  I'm surprised that K&R doesn't have that feature.  In addition, the Dedenbear air solenoid has a valve that can be adjusted for how fast you want the throttle to open once it's activated.  Like a dummy I let the air solenoid go with the '68 when I sold it but I'll never have another box other than another CC3.  It has no compromises.

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

Just got off the phone with Kevin at K&R.  That throttle function is controlled by whatever delay you have in the box as the throttle activation is set by that.  In mine I've got 1.035 seconds delay and according to Kevin, that cylinder is going to activate 1.035 seconds before the transbrake releases, which is the same as it would be if I had to leave first or on a heads up run.  He says that "you can't have more delay in the throttle controller than you have in your delay", which makes sense!  So I guess it's moot point.  I'll find out how it works Friday night! ;-) Let's just hope it's been much to do about nothing!  \:D/

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:15 pm 

Quote:
I'll find out how it works Friday night!

Well?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:29 pm 
Site Admin

Yup, all the K&R s**t works fine!  A, OK!!  Did I mention that the race track sucked???  

Yeah, it was bad enough that I took 4 degrees of timing out and killed another 10 degrees for .75 seconds at the hit! O:)

Did I mention that the race track sucked, bad? [-(

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics