Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

Sure makes a good case for an IR gun.

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:06 pm 

I have never had this exact thing happen to me before. What hid this so well, compression, camshaft. I had a couple of fouled plugs, popping through the exhaust is the reason for putting these new one's in. I'll agree george heat gun would have been nice. Live and learn I guess. =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:26 pm 

good to know you got it figured out! happens to all of us! bad autolite huh? that's not good!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:30 pm 

champions baby. they tell you when something is wrong and have not had one bad out of box. but have had plenty of auto lites bad out of box.... i get knocked all the time for running champions but have won more races using them......... =;

ecbrc super stock 315 4bbl 2007 champs. high point boat overall 2007.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:44 pm 

tonyy358 wrote:
champions baby. they tell you when something is wrong and have not had one bad out of box. but have had plenty of auto lites bad out of box.... i get knocked all the time for running champions but have won more races using them......... =;

autolites are a sponser for me and i actually have had no trouble outta them at all. i get them by the shipper full too! 48 at a time. but anything is possible!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:57 am 

ran auto lites for one year in 302 ford with gt 40 heads. had 3 plugs bad that year. switched to champions. i was suprised myself that i was having trouble with spark plugs. i figured it was the batch that i purchsed from but we had other racers haveing problems also. and the plugs were all comeing from the same supplier local auto store that carried plugs in stock for raceing and only autolites. ended up getting ngk's from jegg's that matched heatrange and ran those for another 3 years........ if you have a sponsor that is good. i think the shipping was the problem and or storage and how they were treated, banged around. the gaps were all diffrent on those plugs witch made it suspect of being bounced around closing the gap.

ecbrc super stock 315 4bbl 2007 champs. high point boat overall 2007.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:38 pm 

StrokerCamaro wrote:
I am man enuff to admit a mistake. I made an ASS out of this one, because when you ASSume things without checking, it will bite you in the ASS. One of the NEW autolites I put in earlier was bad from the start up. It will not fire at all. I could not hear it, it would not skip,fart nothing to lead me to believe it had a dead cylinder. I shorted the plugs through the boots with a test light and no. 3 was dead. Cranking compression was 190 and the leak test was o.k. The engine sounds entirely different now. I checked everything you could imagine but the easy stuff. I guess I always fear the worse. Gotta go now and finish kicking my own ass,HARD. #-o #-o #-o [-(
Thanks for all the advice.
Greg
Y'all can talk about me now. =;

don't feel bad, sometimes it's the obvious that gets us. last year I was working on my master cylinder at the track, had pulled a plug wire off in the process. got in a hurry to get to the line. everything seemed fine till a staged and dumped the clutch, as soon as it left I realized what I had done, man that car is a slug on seven! wouldn't rev high enough to turn on the shift light.

A little trick I use on a car with headers is to quickly touch each header tube, the cold one is the dead cylinder.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:46 pm 

It is fixed for sure, just laid 102 ft. of rubber in front of the house. That extra cylinder made a difference. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:51 pm 

StrokerCamaro wrote:
It is fixed for sure, just laid 102 ft. of rubber in front of the house. That extra cylinder made a difference. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

oh yeah, I bet the neigbors are thrilled you got oit fixed!

Chuck's Automotive

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:06 pm 

They probably are, that means I won't do it again unless I have a problem. =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:49 am 

Car ran 7.04 with a 0 off a 7.04 dial. Got tagged on the tree though, guy had a 5.04 light. But the car ran flawless all nite. 1.51 60 and 98 mph. \:D/

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:19 am 

good to hear, glad ya got it fixed as I'm sure neighbors are [-o< [-o< [-o<

Chuck's Automotive

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:57 pm 

Just had yet another bad experiance with my autolites. Put in a fresh glide, took out 350. No other changes and the car was missing under a load . Burnout was good until high gear and then it started popping. Breaks up at the hit of the throttle. It was test and tune nite and hot and muggy so after looking for all the bad stuff that I could not find, we loaded up and went home. Duplicated the missing in front of the house with high gear launches and then let it cool and put in some NGKs and cured it up. These plugs were two races old. I was thinking it must be too rich at idle but I ran the car all last summer with it set this way and with the same kind of plugs. I did lean it a little on the idle circuit and will see how they do. At idle I could short out each plug through the boots and kill each cylinder , so they would fire without load, but loaded lookout sounded like the fourth of july. Could I be buying plugs out of a bad batch? I think I will try something else next time. The plug number is ar3934 this crosses over to the NGKs that brodix says to start with, shuold I go hotter and try that. The engine is 13.1 388 small block with stock track 1 heads. I use 110 citgo racing fuel,830 Ken Jones carb. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks Greg :-k

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:00 pm 

A fresh set of plugs can be a temporary cure for the ignition being weak somewhere else. I wouldn't short the cylinders by probing thruogh the boots. You're giving the spark a place to jump. Weak wires, coil or ignition control may be lowering spark output and fresh plugs are always easier to fire. What kind of ignition are you running?

Chuck's Automotive

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:50 am 

The box is a 6al, the coil is a blaster 3 with power tower the coil is new, wires are the yellow 8.8 acell. Wires have been around awhile, may need to change them. I may check them with a meter. What do you suggest I do.
Thanks
Greg :-k

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics