Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: Innovate Data Logger
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I went off the deep end this afternoon and bought an Innovate Data Logger system from Greg Kelly at Motorsports Innovations up in NJ.  

I'll have to admit, he gave me a SUPER deal on all the stuff I wanted, so much so that I'd recommend that if you're looking for an Innovate logger then he's the guy to talk to.

On the other hand, if you're looking for something that is more a "top of the line" unit then you also need to talk to gearhead1011.

Here is what I ordered today.

DL-32 Data Logger
SSI-4 four channel add on
TC-4 for 4 thermocuples
LC-1 wideband O2 sensor
25psig transducer
500psig transducer
2 fluid temp sensors

And I already have the driveshaft speed sensor setup and an oil pressure transducer for the engine.  

Greg said I'll probably have the stuff on Monday or Tuesday.  Ah yes, more "toyz" for the "Big boyz"!

Yup, it will be real nice until the Visa bill comes next month!  O:)  The torque converter work will be on there also!  O:)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:52 pm 

And Ken's on a "Fixed" income O:)  O:)  O:)  O:)

Good luck with it...It's a nice gadget   =;  =;  =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:51 pm 

Quote:
Well, I went off the deep end this afternoon and bought an Innovate Data Logger system from Greg Kelly at Motorsports Innovations up in NJ.  

I'll have to admit, he gave me a SUPER deal on all the stuff I wanted, so much so that I'd recommend that if you're looking for an Innovate logger then he's the guy to talk to.

told ya.  ;-)

Greg,
Send the check.  =;  =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:49 pm 

Sure wish i was on a fixed income just like Ken \:D/
I just love it when i go and give a price and the guy say's i'm on a fixed income now help me out, and theres a Lexus and a Avalanche sitting in the garage, makes me want to do this. [-o<

Mark

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

Well, there's a perfectly good explanation for that.  Everything I own is paid for!  How many of you can say that?  I drive what most of you would consider to be junk.  Yeah, 93 Dodge, 83 Chebby C10 and a 91 Geo Metro and there's over 495k miles on the 3 of them.  THAT'S how I can live on SS and a small amount of money from my retirement 401K!  

I'll only have a little over $17k after taxes this past year from SS and 401K.  Now that's not counting the money I make working for Glenn.  ALL the money I make working for Glenn is basically race car money.  The more he works me, the more stuff I can buy.  That and I've been selling stuff I've pack ratted for years and will never have a use for.  It adds up.  

So, tell me guys, how many of you could live on less than $20k a year? O:)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, and one more thing.  The price Greg gave me on that stuff was bordering on obscene!  I've got WAY less in it than you might think!   =;  In fact, I'm thinking about ordering another TC-4! ;-)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:26 am 

go ahead and order ,its only money. besides you could always cut back on food and run lighter!!

R&R Cycle, Performance Parts and Service
for Harley Davidson Motorcycles.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:05 am 
Site Admin

It's on it's way Bubba!  I'll be needing that 18/3 shielded cable early next week! ;-)

I'll PM you what I paid for this stuff and you'll see what I mean! =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

Called Greg at Motorsports Innovations today and ordered another TC-4 Innovate EGT connector box so now I'll be monitoring all 8 cylinders instead of the original 4.   O:)  Bought the thermocouples this morning.  

Pretty bad.  Worked yesterday and probably made $50 and spent $350 today?  There has to be something wrong with this picture, hey!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I got part of the logger system setup and connected the laptop computer to it tonight.  I calibrated the O2 sensor and setup some of the channels on the DL-32.  I fired the engine and the tach and fuel pressure are working along with the volt meter.  I still have to run the hose to the trans pressure gauge before that one will read anything.  The TC-4 is not connected to the log chain cuz there's no thermocouples connected to it yet.  I should have some info from the place I got them from tomorrow, I hope.

Anyway, reading the manuals thru a few times seems to have made this a  little easier.  Hopefully I'll get the thermocouple issue straightened out and have those installed later this week.

Was a really good day here in Va.  Would have been a good day for a test and tune as it was 65 degrees.  Next week it will probably snow!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:03 am 
Site Admin

Well, I recorded my first log Saturday night with everything working!  The drive shaft RPM didn't match anything near the engine so I reconfigured the software to compensate for that and now we should be good to go.  Greg at Motorsports Innovations supplied me with his software configuration for this sensor and it appears that it will work OK with this last tweak I did.  I've got one thermocouple that is still reading low and I'm going to swap that one out for one that I was using before to see if it makes any difference.  7 of them are within 50 degrees or so but the one is over 100 deg off.  

I have trouble running the car in the shop up on stands as the fumes give me a fit with this cold I've got.  I get to coughing and have to leave until the fumes are gone.  Feel a lot better this morning and I'll be working for Glenn today making some new tire money!  ;-)

Anywho, setting up this logger wasn't as hard as I anticipated and I'm glad that is done.  One more piece of the puzzle in place for this season!  =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:50 am 

Pictures Pictures!  O:)

If you were coughing you were too rich.  =;  =;

Post subject: Re: Innovate Data Logger
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:02 pm 

Hey Ken, I've been eye balling a DL-32 Logger for awhile now. I go to Gregs site but what all does just the basic system log or do I have to buy add on's to do everything ? Any help would be appreciated.

I would want something very basic I think, o2's and rpm/driveshaft I would think would be the best tunning helper ?

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

Dave I'm logging 18 channels on mine. The DL-32 comes with 5 to begin with and some of those are "multi purpose", ie, can be either this or that type thingie. My system consists of 1/DL32, 2/TC4s, 1/SSI4w and 1/LC1.

Greg has the aftermarket sensors that work with the Innovate stuff and they're cheaper too. He also sends setup instructions with each one he sells so that helps get you going. He's also very helpful if things don't go exactly right, which some times they don't. I've had mine for about a year and a half now and most of the problems I've had with it were my fault. I call it the ID10T factor! =; There is a learning curve to both setting it up and also using the software, which has a TON of features.

Slowpoke has one, fourtenposi has one, Scott has one and there are a couple of others that don't come to mind right now.

Keep in mind that this is NOT top drawer stuff, but it's OK for what it costs.

Oh, and Chuck, aka, Gearhead1011 sells the Computech stuff if you want to go top drawer.

If you'd like more info, PM me and I'll give you my phone number. I think it would be easier to explain it all that way.

Greg Kelly is at MotorsportsInnovations.com <greg@motorsportsinnovations.com>

Chuck is at Chuck's Automotive in Shepardsvill, Ky <chucksautomotive@yahoo.com>

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:13 am 

I'll throw in a few scrap book pictures from when I did my system.

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics