Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: Idea..
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:06 am 

Is there any way to set-up a system using an EGT system to kill the motor when it gets to a pre-determined temperature?
The reason I am asking is a friend that runs blowers has ran into running a cylinder lean because of a clogged port nozzel and damaged a piston.
If there was a way to cut it off if it got at say 1300* then it would prevent this from happening. He said he didn't know of a way and I am thinking there has to be a way. Anyone have any idea's?

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:12 am 

i would think that if you had a switch that would open when it reached that temp, you could just open the circuit for the ignition thus killing the engine, or if you wired it with the fuel pump and ignition kill both at the same time

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:17 pm 

Jody,

you'd need some electronics to sort that out, switching a blown motor off at full throttle would not be advisable in my opinion. Turning the fuel off is not easy either it would run even leaner as it ran out and probably detonate and loose that cylinder even quicker.

thing is with blown and injected engines is that the fuel system has to be kept spotless, half an hour at the end of a meeting or between meetings maintaining that stuff is well worth the time.

By the time the sensor reads 1300 and has done something it would possibly be too late, ideally you would want to measure the rate of change of temerature so that you catch it on the way up, read expensive and lots of testing to sort it out.

Sorry I cant think of a simple way of doing it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:15 pm 

Possibly you could throw fuel at it instead of shutting it off. Maybe port nozzles and a selliniod operated circuit that just throws a bunch of fuel at it.

If I was him, I'd be cleaning fuel system and strain fuel better. Sam is absolutely right, clean injectors are happy injectors.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:59 pm 

Basically when this happened it was about the 10th pass on the motor it made a few and sat in the garage..made a few then sit for a month or so and then the residue from the alcohol (that white stuff) clogged the port nozzel and it took out the cylinder.. I was just trying to think of a way to prevent that as an added safety feature..and I know there is alot of smart guys here that have been around this stuf a long time may have some good idea's or have maybe seen something..It will be alot better next go around because there will be a laptop hooked to it so when it is getting warmed up he can read EGT's on each cylinder and if something is wrong he will have a better chance of catching it.

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:41 am 

Jody,

That residue should never be there, the system needs cleaning, the worst thing you can do on one of those engines is to leave it sitting with alky in any part of the system.

that crap in there could move and block a nozzle at any point during the run with same results, having a laptop hooked up on warm up will only tell you what is happening during the warm up, if you log the temps during a run it will only tell you something after the event..

I know someone with an injected altered on alky, I've been on his case for 2 years to make sure he cleans the system after each meeting, he assures me that he does but he is now replacing loads of bits because the corrosion has rendered them useless.

Bottom line is if you don't want to keep up the between meetings maintenance then you are going to get trouble.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:45 pm 

Jody the easiest thing to do and i have ran enderle injection for a few years is if you are not going to be running the car for any length of time is to run the alky out and then run gas thru the system it sounds a lot worse than it is but it's not bad if i was going out every week all i would do to mine is shut the pump off and let it run out of fuel never had a problem doing this also this may sound crazy but it works also take some of the wife's hair curlers and cut them down and slide them over the nozzles makes a great filter for them you would be surprised how much crap gets in those little holes in the nozzles.
Oh ya also is he running lube in his alky. it's worth the extra 10 buck's believe me.

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics