Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:40 pm 

I have a 70 Buick with a 462 in it. I decided to locate the battery to the trunk for safety sake. I have the following electric items in the car. A Meziere electric water pump,dual electric fans,electric fuel pump as well as gauges. My question is,after I relocate the battery do I run some say 10 ga or 8 wire up front to the water pump and fans to a relay or how do I get the power up there.I already have the fuel pump wired with a relay in the trunk. I have 2 gauge wire from the battery to the shutoff switch and up to the motor. I also have the 2 gauge ground from the switch to the frame,as well as a piece from the motor to the frame for good ground. I have heard about the run on of ther car and was suggested to get an alternator cutoff from Mad enterprise. Whats involved in installing one of those?It seems fruitless to move the battery just to run a mile of new wire back to the front. I am an electric malfunction awaiting to happen and need some sound advice, I may sound like a turd,but I may ask several stupid questions to fellow members about this difficult situation. I am thinking about the Moroso battery box part number 74050. Is that a good selection? What about a Gel filled battery? Good idea or not?

1986 Century GS 2 of 1029
2005 HEMI Grand Cherokee Limited

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:18 pm 

bignastyGS wrote:
I have a 70 Buick with a 462 in it. I decided to locate the battery to the trunk for safety sake. I have the following electric items in the car. A Meziere electric water pump,dual electric fans,electric fuel pump as well as gauges. My question is,after I relocate the battery do I run some say 10 ga or 8 wire up front to the water pump and fans to a relay or how do I get the power up there.I already have the fuel pump wired with a relay in the trunk. I have 2 gauge wire from the battery to the shutoff switch and up to the motor. I also have the 2 gauge ground from the switch to the frame,as well as a piece from the motor to the frame for good ground. I have heard about the run on of ther car and was suggested to get an alternator cutoff from Mad enterprise. Whats involved in installing one of those?It seems fruitless to move the battery just to run a mile of new wire back to the front. I am an electric malfunction awaiting to happen and need some sound advice, I may sound like a turd,but I may ask several stupid questions to fellow members about this difficult situation. I am thinking about the Moroso battery box part number 74050. Is that a good selection? What about a Gel filled battery? Good idea or not?

As far as a battery goes Optima red top battery is the only way to go....
Sounds like you need a ARC switch panel and some more relays... I have a Painless wire Alt shutdown relay in my Beretta but you can wire it so it will shut off with the switch from what I am told.

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:50 am 

On the wagon we run the Alt field wire from the small post on the starter side of the kill switch up to a regular switch on our switch panel then to the Alt. That way we can turn off the alt. and when you hit the cut off switch it shuts everything down. Like Barry said definetly run a optima battery. Keep it charged. Our battery is in the rear. I run a 10 g wire from the starter big post to a fuse panel on the fire wall. $4 at advanced. from the panel I run 10 g to water pump and both fan relays. 14g to the fuel pressure gage light. and the main MSD 6al wire. then a wire to the ignition block on the steering colum then the on wire from the switch to another fuse panel then gages, switches and so on from there. Does the kill switch you use have 4 main (big) posts or just 2. I was confused when you said the pos and ground run through the same switch. Hope this helps.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics