Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

Yup, dead serious Tom.  That's the way I've run this thing since the day I put that ignition system in the car.  That's why they make alternators and why I've always run one.  There's a 70amper on that thing and it shows me 13.7 volts when the engine is running.

So, you can call me hard headed but I just don't believe that is the problem.  It worked too long like that before this crap showed up a few weeks back.  

Oh, and yes I do have an idea what the amp load is on that box.  It's in the booklet that came with it.  If memroy servse it's somewhere around 15-18 amps for the RPM range I'm running.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:12 am 

Ken that box needs a good solid 12 volts to operate properly.,when the voltage starts to drop.per-say like the screen shot you put up here,it seems to be happening during the run,low voltage will cause spiking issues that you are seeing.That battery can't take that kind of a draw without being fully charged,and besides that you got one battery.I could see if you were running one 16 volt battery but not 1  12 volt battery.

Most guys I know are running 2  12 volt batterys, with that type of ignition,maybe it did work for you a few times out,but you must have been holding your tongue right or some thing. =;

I am still going to say you got a battery issue,an easy fix would be to charge the battery,and charge it between runs,that way you'll know its got enough voltage to make it to the 1/8 mile mark

Voltage does some funny things to equipment,I think its finally catching up to you is all.Low voltage acts some times like a bad ground,you'll chase your tail for a long time.

I'd say either get a good AGM or deep cycle battery and keep it trickle charged and charge between rounds if your going to run 1 battery

Just trying to help is all

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

Joe Pena at MSD says it's electrical noise causing the problem.  During a question and answer session on the phone just now I mentioned that I had replaced the plug wires with a set from MSD.  He says "What color are the wires?"  Blue I says.  "You need the RED ONES for that Digital ignition" he says!  "But Joe, I says, there is no mention either in the literature that came with the Digital box nor with the new MSD plug wires I bought saying not to use the blue wires with the Digital box?"  "Yeah I know but the wires are the problem" he says?  WTF?  MORE MONEY down the drain?  And just think.  The cheap assed Summit wires I took off that thing ran perfect for over a year?  Geez I'm pissed! ](*,)    :-({|=

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

Well, made 3 passes tonight and the gremlins are still there.  This after closing the plug gaps to .022 and with a 50ohm coil wire.  Then another set of plugs gapped at .022 and went quicker but still had the spikes and miss.  Then changed the rest of the plug wires and went quicker @ 5.60 but still had the miss.  DAYMN!  There's nothing left to change now except the coil and the box?

Let's recap shall we.  That's 3 different sets of plug wires.  2 different caps and rotors.  2 different sets of plugs.  2 different crank trigger pickups and moving a bunch of wires around under the hood.  Still the same s**t every time out?

One good thing though.  It did run the quickest it's ever run tonight, even with the miss and s**t and it's still on gas.  Air was @ 1600ft, which is the best this engine has seen to date.  Jeez, if I can ever get the gremlins out this sombiatch is gonna fly!

Anybody got a stock GM HEI that isn't for a computer car for cheap?  I got an itch to try something different! O:)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

That sucks!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:52 am 

i was gonna suggest putting a distributor back in it and trying that, but seems you have that idea already.

i know a guy who had goofy problems like that with a crank trigger and went back to his distributor and problem solved. or so he said...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:12 pm 

Ken, have you given you electrical system the high humidity test? Anytime I have electrical problems on a car, my first step is to get the windex sprayer out and turn off the lights. My theory is, if the electrons aren't going where they are supposed to, they go somewhere else. This somewhere else can be seen in the dark. You can't reproduce high RPM load so you produce the ease of them electrons to escape with the water. I start at the plug and work backward, then the coil  then any wires going to distributer saving the distributer to last. With foot braking and putting a little load on it with the extra humidity you can some times get that high RPM miss located by either seeing the fireworks or making it miss more. Only when I rule out all the simple stuff like a mag being heated up one too many times shorting out induction gains or same with a coil, bad wires or boots even a lead to the ignition that may have been stretched or caught between something but still looks good. Something we can agree on is your having a breakdown of spark intensity under load. Going to smaller gap would decrease the load some what. Do you have the same box on the Stude? or a friend that could loan you one for a run? Is your crank trigger spaced away evenly and the right amount? I have seen Mag pick ups off just a bit and do weird things. I have seen how you space the pick up on 2 cycle pick ups is critical at high RPMs. I make a flexible spacer, put pick up against the spacer, tighten it up then pull spacer. I actually found out an IBM time card was same thickness that I needed or my purpose. I guess what I'm saying is check the common things first, before you go to the exotic fixes. I changed a mag 3 times and then went to a distributer on a problem like this and found in the end it was a connector on the low voltage side of the mag that was just halfway working . It worked till the resistance went up. As soon as i put distributer in with it's own new lead and had mags checked to be good, I remembered last fall forgetting to unhook wire and start to pull engine. Something that most of us have done and got away with. Most times it don't work at all or it's fine.

Simply put, this sounds like bad coil or mag induction in the old days, what ever produces your spark isn't recuperating quick enough to get the next one out.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

Well, no word from MSD on my continuing saga.  

I moved the MSD box away from the firewall and over on the X bars at the passenger door.  I also re-wired the fuse panel and all the MSD stuff.

We're going back to Roxboro Wednesday night and I'm taking another alternator, battery and the alky carb so we'll be busy again.  Pit Bitch was complaining the other night as we don't usually have to work on the car at the track.  That has chenged lately though.  Maybe I'll get lucky for a change!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

IT IS FIXED!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:12 am 

Good to hear!!  \:D/  \:D/ And you may never know what it was #-o But now you can race \:D/  \:D/  \:D/

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:32 am 

\:D/  \:D/  \:D/  \:D/ what was it???

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:32 am 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
\:D/  \:D/  \:D/  \:D/ what was it???

I moved the MSD box away from the firewall and over on the X bars at the passenger door.  I also re-wired the fuse panel and all the MSD stuff.

\:D/  \:D/  \:D/  \:D/

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:02 am 

Good deal Ken, now go some rounds. \:D/

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:20 am 

Ken0069 wrote:
IT IS FIXED!!!

\:D/  \:D/  \:D/  \:D/

Good deal Ken, now go run some 5.40s.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:57 am 
Site Admin

Don 5.40s won't happen with this gas carb.  Even after adding 2 more degrees of timing and having a couple of 1.210 short times it still only ran a 5.65, which was slower than the 5.60 it ran last week at another track and was missing.  If George's theory on alky (.2 pickup) is correct, then I might get a 5.40 out of it but I'm not real optimistic on that one.  5.50 something, probably so but I'm not looking to make it in the 40s.

The real good news is that the car came home in one piece and the spikes and miss are gone!

As far as going rounds is concerned, I'm having just as much fun doing T&T, well, maybe MORE fun as I won every round last night, made 5 passes and it only cost me $15 to get in and run the car!   =;

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics