Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

MSD tech says to run the purple/green wires AWAY from all other power sources.  I had mine run along with the alternator fields wire and the water pump.  As to why it just started doing this?  Basically cuz "s**t happens" and over time wires can degrade and cause problems with bleed over.  Anywho, I'm re-routing them to the outside of the frame rail.  That ought to stop it!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:50 pm 

Ken
Do you have the MSD Part #8862 cable on the trigger?This update will help in the cross over feed back issue.But you still want to keep it way from other electronics,such as water pump and alternator wires

This is the purple and green wire with a ground,also its shielded =;

Make sure the Box also has a good ground,I usually run a wire direct from the battery for the box,sometimes the chassis is not a good enough ground

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:17 am 
Site Admin

For Wednesday night I had routed the MSD trigger wires away from all other sources of interferance.  Well, got another problem then!  First pass that puppy cut clean off midway thru low gear for about .1 second then came back to life with a big bang from unburnt fuel down the header.  Did it again in high gear but not at the same RPM?  So, I put in that brand new pickup I got from our old buddy Ron Owens and went back out.  Same thing this time too.  So, I took Rod's advice and bypassed the alternator cutout switch and viola!  Ran like a top, no miss, no spikes, nadda!  Can you say dirty battery cable?   O:)  [-(  4th pass we were looking to backup the 3rd when the rocker arm broke.   =P~

So, seems as though I've finally found the problem.  I guess a little PM is in order, hey! O:)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:37 am 

Ken, I think the on,off, bang is what broke that rocker..Hope none of the others got damaged O:)  O:)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

Barry the right side was the one that showed the ball of fire under the car not the left.  Number 7 cylinder was the one that broke and it looks like it was cracked to begin with.  We shall see.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

Well, the trip to Piedmont was pretty much all for nothing today!  Here is a .gif file that will tell the whole story, again!

And I've got two more that look just like this one! [-(  [-(  [-(  ](*,)  ](*,)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:22 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Well, the trip to Piedmont was pretty much all for nothing today!  Here is a .gif file that will tell the whole story, again!

Ken, was the engine still cutting out too, or is it just showing rpm spikes on logger?

Rick

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

Rick the engine is cutting off at the downward spikes and is popping out the exhaust when the unburnt gas ignites.  It's almost like I was turning the ignition switch on and off to make it do that, but I'm not.  

The more I f**% with it the worse it gets!  Or at least it seems that way.  I've pulled every connection from the battery forward and cleaned them to make sure it's not a corrosion problem but it's still there, and worse than the last time out.  I'm starting to think it's something wrong with that MSD Digital 7 box.  If the relay inside it was going bad or the contacts were dirty it could cause this problem, unless it's a solid state relay that is.  Dunno.

I'm going to call MSD tomorrow to see what they say about it.

One step forward, two steps back.  It's getting old.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:30 pm 

Do you have a battery voltage input to the logger? If so I'd take a look at that.

Do you have an Optima battery?

Rick

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

Don't have a logger Rick.  I can only get the RPM graph off the MSD box. whch will also give me time as well.  

Nope, no Optima battery.  One Duralast battery in the trunk and I do run an alternator.  I even jumped the alternator to where it charges all the time and that didn't stop it either.  The battery hasn't been a problem as all the stuff I did with the engine this past week didn't run it down at all.  There hasn't been a charger on that thing since the spring and then only cuz I accidently left the water pump running and ran it down!  If I was having problems with it running down with limited use then I'd think that might be a possible cause.

I thought about the alternator also but when I drop that out it still does the same s**t?  Alternator charging, ignition miss.  Alternator not charging, ignition miss?

Everything on the engine is new, ie, cap, rotor, wires, crank trigger pickup and the plugs only have about 20 runs on'em and they wouldn't cause the spikes, or at least I wouldn't think they would.

I also ran the crank trigger wires outside the frame rail up to the front of the engine so there is NOTHING electrical around it now!

Like I said.  Phone call to MSD tomorrow.  ](*,)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

Depending on what MSD tells you, I would go ahead and change the plugs just in case.  You've changed everything else.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:41 pm 

The rpm reading is going to be taken from the primary side of the ignition so I would think it would have to be primary input (trigger), wiring or the box itself. I know that rf noise can cause all sorts of problems with ignition systems and a problem with something on the secondary side could interfere with the primary signal.  Can you borrow the box from your other car for some testing?

You said the plugs don't have many runs on them but what kind of plug are you running?

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:54 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Nope, no Optima battery.  One Duralast battery in the trunk and I do run an alternator.  I even jumped the alternator to where it charges all the time and that didn't stop it either.  The battery hasn't been a problem as all the stuff I did with the engine this past week didn't run it down at all.  There hasn't been a charger on that thing since the spring and then only cuz I accidently left the water pump running and ran it down!  If I was having problems with it running down with limited use then I'd think that might be a possible cause.

I thought about the alternator also but when I drop that out it still does the same s**t?  Alternator charging, ignition miss.  Alternator not charging, ignition miss?

Just wondering if the battery is shorting internally since they have plates. Is it mounted front-back?, which would put the plates sideways, relative to "g" loads, which they can then flex. Lead is heavy and soft. Maybe the plates are shorting out from the "g" loads and vibration.

I've heard of this, but have never seen it myself. I have used the Optima since my car would have been fast enough to cause this. Optima uses the spiral wire instead of plates.

Rick

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:13 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
 The battery hasn't been a problem as all the stuff I did with the engine this past week didn't run it down at all.  There hasn't been a charger on that thing since the spring and then only cuz I accidently left the water pump running and ran it down!   ](*,)

Ken I hope your not serious here.If you knew what that digital 7 drew for voltage,you'd have a battery charger on it after every run

That alternator is not going to keep 1 battery charged,do a load test on the battery,I bet you'll find thats where all your problems are,and charge the battery  =; Every week before use

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

Chuck, NGK 5671A-9 plugs.  The box in the other car is a 7AL-2.  The one in the Camaro is a Digital 7 and none of the wiring hookups are the same on the two.  The coil is mounted about 12 inches from the box and is in the same place it's been in since I installed the system over a year ago.  The closest the ignition wires come to the trigger is about 6 inches where the coil wire goes thru the firewall and again, it's in the same place it's been now for over a year.  I'll be sure to ask MSD if plugs would cause this to show up on the graph like that.

Rick the battery is mounted side to side so the plates aren't stacked in the G force line.  Learned better on the first car I built.  Batteries mounted end to end only lasted about a year and a half and were done.

I'm trying to think but I'm not exactly sure about this but this problem may have manifest itself when I put the gas carb on.  Can't remember this problem when I was running alky.  Was running a different plug then also, NGK R5671A-10s. O:)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics