Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: 6al or digital 6
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:35 am 

thinking about ordering msd mech dist and a box next week what would suite me better a 6al box or a digital 6, I do want to run a 2 step with time and a start retard would be nice any thoughts on this

http://www.s10dragracer.com/

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:53 am 

As long as you're buying a new box I would go for the Digital 6. Why not get the latest technology?  =; Especially since you want to build a new engine with more power some day.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:58 am 

I'm not up on all the MSD stuff but believe that the 6AL just has a singal Rev Limiter and the Digital can be programmed with a start retard and 2 step.

Like Mark said I would go for the Digital 6

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:17 pm 

I would buy the digital 6. If you need the 2 step and timing retard the digital will be cheaper than buying the 6al and the extras.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:59 pm 

Here you go a little info

Note: Do not use digital or dial back timing lights.
DIGITAL OPERATION
The MSD Digital 6 Plus uses a high speed RISC microcontroller to control the ignition’s output while constantly analyzing the various inputs such as supply voltage, trigger signals and rpm. The high speed controller can make extremely quick compensations to the output voltage, multiple spark series, timing and rpm limits while maintaining accurate timing signals to within 1° and 1% of the rpm limits. The circuits and controller of the Digital 6 Plus have been thoroughly debounced and isolated to create protection against Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI).
CAPACITIVE DISCHARGE
The MSD Digital 6 Plus features a capacitive discharge ignition design. The majority of stock ignition systems are inductive ignitions. In an inductive ignition, the coil must store and step up the voltage to maximum strength in between each firing. At higher rpm, since there is less time to charge the coil to full capacity, the voltage falls short of reaching maximum energy which results in a loss of power or top end miss.
The MSD Ignition features a capacitor which is quickly charged with 520 - 535 volts and stores it until the ignition is triggered. With the CD design, the voltage sent to the coil is always at full power even at high rpm.
MULTIPLE SPARKS
The MSD produces full power multiple sparks for each firing of a plug. The number of multiple sparks that occur decreases as rpm increases, however the spark series always lasts for 20° of crankshaft rotation. Above 3,300 rpm there is simply not enough “time” to fire the spark plug more than once, so there is only one powerful spark.
PROTECTION
The MSD Digital 6 Plus has a built in reverse polarity protection circuit. This will protect the ignition in the event of wrong connections. It will also shut off for protection from a surge in power. TheLED INDICATOR
There is an LED that monitors the status of the Ignition. The  event of wrong connections. It will also shut off for protection from a surge in power. The ignition will still operate once the surge or polarity is corrected.LED monitors several parameters of the ignition including trigger signal, low voltage and high voltage.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:43 pm 

The digital 6 puts out more power to the spark plugs and draws less power from your battery/alt. That along with the extra features already mentioned in the digital 6, I think it is an easy decision.

Have never heard of any problems with digital 6 or the 6al, so I think they are equally reliable.

Rick

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:45 pm 

I run 6als on both my cars, but if I were buying new I would get the digital, all the goodies in one package.
Greg

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:01 pm 

thanks guys, if I want a start retard, and a two step then get the one that is ready to go, was wondering if either is better and they both sound good so digital it is  THANKS!!!!!!

http://www.s10dragracer.com/

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:02 pm 

That it's only good for up to 13 to 1 Comp. it will work with 14 to 1 but it's past it's peak of efficiency there . the 7al or 7 digital would be a better buy and is good up to 16 to 1 comp. and has all the bells and whistles that the digital 6 has.

Dan

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:35 pm 

But you can't run the 7 series for extended periods without overheating (i.e. the street).  Or so I thought???

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:31 pm 

I'm sorry I didn't know you guys ran 14.5 comp. on the street .

Dan

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:20 pm 

TRUKPULR wrote:
I'm sorry I didn't know you guys ran 14.5 comp. on the street .

Dan

huh?  Maybe we're missing each other's point.  I read your post to say you thought the 7 would be a better unit for him.  Knowing he runs the blazer on the street, or will, I thought the 7 would overheat with extended usage.  

Who's runnning 14.5:1 on the street?

Maybe I'm just missing the whole conversation.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:29 pm 

I'm sorry it was Mark70nova that wanted to build a bigger motor.. When I replied I though Spib that was looking to upgrade down the road ...

Yes for the street I'd go with the digital 6 .

Dan

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:15 pm 

Gotcha!  Ya, that Mark character is always trying to screw things up! =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:34 am 
Site Admin

FYI, my Studebaker has a 7AL2 along with a MSD Pro Power coil and is street driven?  Never had a problem with it in 6,000 miles of street use?  Hummm, I guess no one ever told me I couldn't do that, hey!  =;

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics