Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: Alternator Mount Pics
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

This was requested by a member. It's a couple of pictures of the alternator mount I use on the Camaro and also had on the diggers I had.

The round pieces are 1 inch round aluminum drilled 10mm and machined to diminsions that align the belt with the front sheave. The mount itself can be either 1/2 or 5/8 inch T6 aluminum flat bar.

The adjustment part is just a piece of Electrial conduit with a 6 inch piece of 3/4 inch wide .250 inch flat bar welded to one end with an 8mm slot cut in it about 4 inches long. On the opposit end I just had a piece of pipe cut the long way with it welded to the conduit then used hose clamps to fasten it to the frame on the other side of the digger. On the Camaro I got the same thing only the frame mount end is a piece of angle bolted to the lower "A" arm and the conduit mounted to that.

I thought I had a picture of that setup on the BBC but am having problems finding it. I'll add that one if it turns up.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:41 pm 

Ken That looks real easy to make as Im going to need one for the Beretta. If you find those pic's of that on a BBC please post them or email them to me. =; =; Thanks Barry

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

There are several alternators that will work. The one in the picture is off of an 89 to 98 Mazda MPV with a 2.6L engine. There is another one for a 92 to 94 Mercury Capri 1.6 engine and another that fits a 90 and 91 Mazda 929. You should be able to find one of those in a wrecking yard near you or on Ebay. Just make sure you get the BOLT that holds it on as it's a bastard size metric thread.

I'm looking Barry but haven't seen that pic yet!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:45 pm 

I'll get a picture of my cobbled up alternator bracket to help those who don't run solid engine mounts. Mine is bolted to the 2 bolt holes on the drivers side of the crankshaft by the timing cover.. I'll get a picture tonight. Yours Ken does look real good! \:D/

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:52 pm 

us7race wrote:
I'll get a picture of my cobbled up alternator bracket to help those who don't run solid engine mounts. Mine is bolted to the 2 bolt holes on the drivers side of the crankshaft by the timing cover.. I'll get a picture tonight. Yours Ken does look real good! \:D/

Hey Im still waiting for those pic's it you have them Thanks Barry =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

Barry that mount I had on that BBC was made exactly like the one on my SBC only a little longer to get under the motor plate. The bottom hole just needs to be about 5/8 inch BELOW the bottom of the engine plate. It bolts to those same holes that were mentioned in the other post. The ones next to the balancer and it could be mounted on either side. I used a piece of 5/8inch thick aluminum flat bar that was about 4 x 6 inches in size and machined it to fit. Guess I should have made a drawing huh.

BTW, when you coming to Lynchburg? You can come look at mine then and get a better idea of how to do this.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:03 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Barry that mount I had on that BBC was made exactly like the one on my SBC only a little longer to get under the motor plate. The bottom hole just needs to be about 5/8 inch BELOW the bottom of the engine plate. It bolts to those same holes that were mentioned in the other post. The ones next to the balancer and it could be mounted on either side. I used a piece of 5/8inch thick aluminum flat bar that was about 4 x 6 inches in size and machined it to fit. Guess I should have made a drawing huh.

BTW, when you coming to Lynchburg? You can come look at mine then and get a better idea of how to do this.

Right now I need to get the engine in there and see how much room Ive got. But I really need to get the rest of the body work done. It's close really close to done. (door and hood is all thats left to finish)

Not quiet sure when, I'll have to check with my wife. We are still recovering from my other daughter's graduation from Alfred. You know moving all that stuff home that she accumalited for 4 years. Now it's all in my living room.
Any way I will let you know and we will get together when we get to lynchburg.......Barry =; \:D/

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

Here are some shots of the adjustment bar on the Camaro and some additional shots to show how compact it is. While I had it up reworking all that crap I took some pics from underside.

That bottom bar is a piece of 1/2 inch EMT and the piece on the end of it is a piece of 3/6x1x6 CRS with a slot cut in it. I cut a slot in the EMT and then tack welded the flat bar in it afer it was slotted. The other end of that bar mounts to the lower "A" arm mount via a piece of 2inch angle bolted to that control arm.

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics