Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: which ignition system?
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:15 pm 

spec of the motor:
511ci iron BBC
fully ported and flowed heads
forged steel stroker crank
ally rods and pistons (13.5:1 compression)
roller cam/lifters
crower individual runner methanol injection

currently got a Mallory Sprint Mag on there @26 degrees advance (not huge I know)

been told that it probably hasn't got enough spark to run the motor hard and are better off with an MSD box, billet dizzie and coil, what you guys recommend? bigger mag, getting the mag done by Don Zigg or anything else?

also only supression leads at the moment, if we kept mag would be putting pro mag solid core leads on

thanks

Last edited by MotorPsycho on Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:30 pm 

Adam,

I'd go for a full MSD set up or if you insist on keeping the mag you wont need anything much more than an 6 amp.

why the low advance ?? Starting point for that should be around 36.

I say 6 amp because earlier in the year I had an email convo with someone who really knows there stuff on blown alky big blocks and they told me for a blown application that was more than enough so should be plenty for you.

remember when you put a higher output unit in there you are going to have more trouble holding it from slipping and more lost horsepower to drive it.

In fact unless you know it wont run the motor for sure I'd leave it as is and wait until it gives you a problem. ( doing the obvious thing over here in this weather take it out and store it somewhere warm and dry.

Also suppressed leads are not as bad as people try and make out. as long as you have decent ones and not a set of no name cheapo's from your local factor.

My 2 pence worth.... ( I normally have to say 2 cents on here. =; =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:38 pm 

By the way adam, paul marston had 2 mags for sale the other week, I new and 1 second hand that he had for the alien last year and never used.

I'll send you a pm about something in a few minutes

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:49 pm 

The Sprint Mag we have on the car is one of the ones Paul had for sale, I shouldn't see the mag being a problem really, with solid leads (recomended by Don Zig) and more advance (I think it was 26 degrees Doug Ripley told us to run to start with, he ran the motor before us)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:33 pm 

A sprint mag will work as well as needed in a N/A application. Nothing will be gained by going to a more powerful mag. An MSD 6A + will offer the same performance and quicker starts / cleaner idle.

Ziggy also always locks out the advance in a mag when he rebuilds them. Have 2 here from him.

Sam ... Tim worked for Ziggy for a while relay any mag. questions you may have to him.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:07 am 

Thanks for help guys

you got an email for Tim or Don Zig, Duane? would be useful to get some advice from the mag master :-$

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics