Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: msd ignition
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:31 pm 

Last week I noticed that I had no spark. Checked all the connectors and it worked. Today I moved the coil to a cooler place and have no spark. I have a msd pro billet distributor, msd7al3, and red billet coil for the 7 series.
Does the orange wire coming from the msd 7al3 to the coil have power when the ignition is on and engine not running? I believe it should have voltage going to it when the ignition is on. I do have power, when the key is on the the red wire ign switch, and main power lead.

If I ground the correct wire ( purple)I get spark . But do it like msd says and make a loop wire and connect the purple to the green nothing. I also used the terminal block on the msd box and took purple to breen and nothing. Purple to ground and spark. I checked the factory two wire connector to the distributor and seems to be fine, used a volt meter, ohm meter. fine. same to the org and black wire going to the coil.

I think I have to get a new box....if I want to race this weekend...damn,,,,damn,,,,, DAMN
Any ideas??
Doug

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:53 pm 

Check your grounds and power wires... I did have one 7al2 that did somethine simmiler. Borrowed a spair that a friend had and all was well. Sent it back for repair and ordered a new one..Now I have a spair O:) Barry

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:50 pm 

did you get it fixed? We lost spark once and did the ohms check on the pick up and found it bad. It intermitent at first then went out all together.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

Doug is the red light on the MSD box blinking when you crank the engine? If not, then it's not getting a trigger from your ignition pickup.

Have you done any welding on the chassis and NOT disconnected the box? =P~

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics