Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:17 pm 

OK, I think I understand enough about this data logger software to post a little info on it. The screen shot below is of one of my best passes and here's what you have. The section on the left has all the graphed channels displayed numerically according to the position of the cursor. The very top of the left gives you the time in seconds. I activate the data logger manually so I use the cursor to find the beginning of the run by finding where the engine rpm starts to rise (off rev. limiter) and then mark it as 0. In this shot I have the cursor positiioned at the 5.55 second mark to display the numbers at the end of the run. The color coding follows the graphs in the left section. The first section contains all the rpm graphs. Violet is engine rpm, blue is input rpm, green is driveshaft rpm. The next section is slip and ratio percentages, then cyl. egt's. The following section is engine coolant temp and the last section is fuel pressure. The little bumps you see on the clutch slip graph is where a gear change is made. 5th gear is always where the clutch will slip the most, other than the launch, and on this run it slipped about 15%. The second shot I positioned the cursor where the fuel pressure drops just after the launch. I talked about this in another post. You can see how the mass of the fuel has to battle the g-forces af launching a drag car. This a good reason to run a fuel line no bigger than what you need. Again bigger is not always better.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:49 pm 

i have been looking at data recorders, was not sure how the marine envirement would treat them. especialy after flipping twice this season. in 3 years the extreme has never gone over, this year weather was not cooperating. i also thaught about making test runs and removing the equipment. keep it out for races. it is something i am seriously considering and being able to view onsite with laptop. tony. \:D/

ecbrc super stock 315 4bbl 2007 champs. high point boat overall 2007.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:29 pm 

Now there is aome really cool info... Chuck has it told you anything as far as what was going on and what you did or need to do to make it better?? =; I just love gaggets.......Barry \:D/

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:23 pm 

from what i read you can dial the engine right in, you can also get gforce readings. the one i looked at was o2 sensor operated, you can dial the jetting in. the down fall was the expense to read all eight cyls, you could measure as many as you wanted from 1-8 cylinders. and record up to 17 minutes of operation per run. i would like to hear some more input from chuck. \:D/

ecbrc super stock 315 4bbl 2007 champs. high point boat overall 2007.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:51 pm 

Chuck we are waiting :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k =; =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:32 pm 

When I insalled this it was primarily for tuning the clutch. It has been very usful for that. The info it has provided by being able to watch the engine, input and driveshaft rpm made quick work of getting the pressure where I wanted it. It will calculate clutch slip or convertor slip in percent. It will give you gear ratio at any given point in the run. Now how many racers have made a pass that they couldn't explain? did it spin the wheels? Did the clutch slip? did I hit the shift points? is the convertor not working right? is the transmission slipping? As long as you have a good base pass to compare it with you have the answers to all of these questions. And by watching all the egt's you can tell if you have a cylinder misfiring. The 45 in the datapro 45 is for the number of available channels and the amount of data storage depends on how many channels you have active. with the channels I use I have about 14 mins. of record time. If you check your runs every pass you can save the run to your computer and clear the memory each pass. Most channels save 100 samples per second but the shock travel sensors are 600 samples per second. One of the features that I really like about this data logger is you configure everything with your computer. You can turn channels off & on and add channels with a computer, you don't have to buy expansion modules or send it to the manufacturer to add on. The display unit is velcro'd to the dash and you pull it out and plug into your computer to retrieve the data so you can load the runs to a pc and don't have to use a laptop. I do plan on adding channels as the budget allows, the next thing I will add is probably going to be an acceleratometer. I can wire the delay box release button to one of the switch channels to use a a start point and the acceleratometer as a stop point and the data logger will work as a reaction timer so i will be able to explian some of those off the wall reaction times.

my car used to 60' around 1.22 - 1.23 last friday my car's worst 60' was a 1.205 all the others were from 1.97 - 1.89. I know it's the clutch that got me there but the info got me there a lot faster.

Tony, I don't see any reason why you couldn't put all the electronics of one of theses in some sort of water proof container and use it on a boat. It has 2 main parts one is the junction box where you make all the connections, the other is the display unit. You remove it and plug the data cable into it to transfer tha data to a computer. Both parts together would take up about the same space as a textbook

Barry, in case no one noticed I love gadgets too!! =; =;

Let me know if you want anymore details and if anyone decides they want one of these let me know I can hook you up with the guy that I bought mine from. was a good guy to deal with.

Chuck's Automotive

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:00 am 

greetings Chuck
this has come at a good time as the new car that i am looking at on Monday has a logger fitted to it

out of curisoty what is the logger worth that you are running

looking at the top graph that you have posted would it be right to assume that you spin your engine to 8200 Rpm but its trapping at 6970 at the top of the track

regards
rod

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:16 am 

found the price & also a link to the product

http://www.computechracing.com/datalogger.html

looks to have all the bells & wistles

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:49 am 

rodrocket wrote:
found the price & also a link to the product

http://www.computechracing.com/datalogger.html

looks to have all the bells & wistles

That is the set up I purchased but I bought it from a racer that's a dealer for computech. He sold it to me for a lot less than computech would.

Chuck's Automotive

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:00 pm 

hey chuck, looks like an awsome unit. if you don't mind me being nosey...how much? what does the base package come with? i would be intrested in egt readings, rpm and a fuel pressure unit to start. i already have a percy's egt and was wondering if i could just plug my themo couple into it... pm me if you don't wan to spill the beans here. :-$ :-#

corey

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:04 pm 

Buffjhsn wrote:
hey chuck, looks like an awsome unit. if you don't mind me being nosey...how much? what does the base package come with? i would be intrested in egt readings, rpm and a fuel pressure unit to start. i already have a percy's egt and was wondering if i could just plug my themo couple into it... pm me if you don't wan to spill the beans here. :-$ :-#

corey

Corey, You have a PM. the link rod posted http://www.computechracing.com/datalogger.html
will give you computech's prices. the guy I bought form is below that. Let me know if you need help picking out your options.

Chuck's Automotive

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics