Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

Got a call from a friend the other day and he told me that he has heard that Eastside Speedway has been sold to a developer who plans to build condos on that property?? I've been looking for this to happen for a while now since there's a bunch of condos all around the track and has been for years. Hate to see this happen as there won't ever be another one anywhere near there due to all the new regulations that have been put in place by the local government. =P~

That track has been around for as long as I can remember and I raced a 68 "442" Olds Cutlass there "back in the day". :-({|=

So this means that next year the closest place for me to race will be 95 miles away at Roxboro, Nc. [-(

Anyone interested in a nice "low use" 225" Undercover dragster? O:) :-({|=

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:03 am 

That's sad Ken. I hate to hear of tracks closing. I ran there in '71 and I think the Gore brothers owned then. Is it still in their family? Is the stock car portion still being used?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:20 am 

Same thing has just happened somewhere in Australia, verbatim. Drag strip with long glorious history sold to developer, despite it attracting quite a lot of spectators and being a place where ANDRA holds their races.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:29 am 

That may happen to Island Dragway someday but there won't be any condo's going there as it's all low lands and swamp...And it's also listed as wet lands..
If that ever happens there may be a Beretta for sale also O:) ...
Ken get some pictures of that place before it happens and post them up. I would like to see it before it happens...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:18 am 
Site Admin

Ron, yes, Gary Gore still owns or did own the property and ran it up until about 4 or 5 years ago. Since then he's leased it out but still owned it. I'll include a link to their webpage which has a picture of the facility taken from an airplane.

Barry, I'm done there for the year as they only have one more race, which is this coming Sunday and that's it for the year, and maybe forever so there won't be any pics other than the one on their website which I have saved on my computer.

http://www.eastsidespeedway.com/contact ... ation.html

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:30 am 
Site Admin

Good news on this!!! Just got an Email from the website developer for Eastside and he says that the closing deal is just a rumor. Here is my message to him and his reply:

Ken0069 wrote:
Heard a nasty rumor that Eastside Speedway has been sold to a developer that is going to close it and build condo's on the property?? Any truth to this?

Thanks,

Ken

Reply:

Ryan wrote:
GW Fitzgerald will be back for the next 3 years, with the option to buy after those 3 years.

So no. Just a rumor.

Thanks!
-Ryan

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:03 am 

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ Good to here that as when these small tracks close that will be it for most of us!!!

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:04 pm 

webermaniac wrote:
Same thing has just happened somewhere in Australia, verbatim. Drag strip with long glorious history sold to developer, despite it attracting quite a lot of spectators and being a place where ANDRA holds their races.

Weber,
which track are you referring to here in Australia? I haven't heard this.

Great news for you Ken, looks like you still have a place to race.
Colin.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:28 pm 

Code:
Townsville had a 1/4 mile dragstrip, but it closed it's gates on the 25/8/2012 due to urban development.

Heard it here,

Code:
Slamfest coverage in "Speedweek" Motorsports program on SBS-TV Australia August 12th 2012.

Racing is from Townsville Dragway in North Queensland and is one of the final events to be held at the track.

The urban growth in the region means the 32 year old converted Airforce strip will soon be housing which has happened to a fair few racing venues around Australia. The good news is they are to build a new facility hopefully in the near future.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:05 pm 

I didn't hear about that one! Google maps says 5000 km (60 hrs) round trip. I was never going to go there.

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics