Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post subject: Re: 7 second pass??
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:39 am 

For the arc to jump to the piston at the position its in with the advance it must some killer spark, where can I get one of them?
It could be possible for something like a 10+ to do it or a maggy, but I think you saw something else. You can get striped or line carbon deposits if the flame kernel is growing erratically, its more likely something like that. But good on you for keeping your eyes open.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:21 pm 

shrinker wrote:
I know this may sound incredible but I saw a head gasket from a maggy blown engine that had electric arc burns in it. For some reason the head gasket wasnt conducting the arc ground current, ran a wire from each head to the block to ground the heads and problem went away. Now there is no way anyone would consider that electricity coudnt get through from the head to the block is there, there is all those head bolts and stuff but it couldnt. Thread lubes and oil under the bolt heads is non conductive so I guess it was all that stuff.

On all the engines I advise or work on I always link the heads to the battery earth.

So this conductive paste idea on the plug threads is a good idea in my book.
Are there any issues with heat upon the paste and it sticking in the head etc. Could a mix of conductive paste and thread anti seize be the go?

I do the same grounding for the same reason. Gains are usually seen when I harp on this and people incorporate it.

The conductive paste is pretty much a lubricant on it's own. So I would see no need in mixing it with a lube. I think it would dilute the conductiveness of the paste, imo. I have used this in a lot of different applications that were hot and have not had any problems of sticking that I know of. I have also used it as a heat sink conductive paste. I have not seen any negative to using it.

Thanks for you input/support Shrinker. Glad to hear of you recovery, and that you're back. =D>

Don

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:44 pm 

wow,.... looks like I may have killed this thread. Sorry Barry.

Don

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems